How to correctly scale X-Axis in Charts?

  1. #1

    How to correctly scale X-Axis in Charts?

    I posted this in Excel Charting, too, but I reckon it gets far fewer readers...

    I have the following data to plot:

    01/31/95 0.29623
    12/29/95 0.19822
    12/31/96 0.13931
    12/31/97 0.33036
    12/31/98 0.082194
    12/31/99 0.23669
    12/29/00 -0.25575
    12/31/01 0.023404
    12/31/02 -0.11949
    12/31/03 -0.018228
    12/31/04 0.12326

    with the dates being the actual dates I wish to plot on my x-axis in a regular Excel line chart. As you can see, they are irregular dates. Regardless of how I try (with ensuring the Minor Unit is on Days and the Major on months), I can't seem to get the right combination to have Excel plot the actual dates above. Instead, it seems to keep defaulting to the last day in January, probably due to the first data point in the date series or it just gives me a regular monthly date by year (always January 1, XXXX for instance).

    Does anyone have any ideas how I would fix this to get the actual dates above to plot on the x-axis?

    Thanks,

    -Pete

  2. #2
    Marvin P. Winterbottom
    Guest

    RE: How to correctly scale X-Axis in Charts?

    you can't chang the values on the x-axis, that's just the scale it picks, you
    can go into chart options/data labels/show labels, and it will put the actual
    date by every data point.

  3. #3
    Marvin P. Winterbottom
    Guest

    RE: How to correctly scale X-Axis in Charts?

    correction- you can change the scale, on chart optios/axis/ pick category,
    then it puts the actual dates on the x-axis scale

  4. #4
    Thanks very much!!! I really appreciate this.