adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

  1. #1

    adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

    Hi - I have excel for my apple laptop, and I'd like to find out how I
    can adjust the size of the cells. I'm cutting and pasting text from a
    document onto a spreadsheet, and every so often, a bit of text that I
    paste over from a document makes the entire cell get very large. I'd
    imagine I have to highlight the entire cell and select something to fix
    it...but what? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

    > Hi - I have excel for my apple laptop, and I'd like to find out how I
    > can adjust the size of the cells. I'm cutting and pasting text from a
    > document onto a spreadsheet, and every so often, a bit of text that I
    > paste over from a document makes the entire cell get very large. I'd
    > imagine I have to highlight the entire cell and select something to fix
    > it...but what? Thanks!

    I've had a similar experience. Rather than paste into a spreadsheet cell, I
    select the cell and paste into the formula bar. This way, I don't get the
    over-sized cells.

    (I use Excel 97.)

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

    greg

    Cell sizes are governed by the row height and column width.

    Individual cells cannot be sized independently.

    Sounds like you rows and/or columns are Formatted to "Autofit" and "Wrap Text"

    You can re-format if you wish at any time.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4

    Re: adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

    How do I reformat? Also, can't locate the options for 'autofit' and
    'wrap text,' where are they listed?

  5. #5
    Adam Kroger
    Guest

    Re: adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

    Autofit and wrap and in the 'format cell' dialog box, from the r-click menu.
    Not sure what you mean by reformat.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

    greg

    To find the Autofit commands..........

    Select any cell and Format>Row>Autofit.

    Also Format>Column>Autofit.

    You can re-size a row or column by hovering cursor over the row or column
    header until you see a double-headed cross/arrow.

    Select and drag to the size you wish.

    To re-size all rows in a selection of rows.....Format>Row>Height. Stick in a
    number like 12

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP