Sorting Alpha Numeric Part 2

  1. #1
    CS Project Man
    Guest

    Sorting Alpha Numeric Part 2

    Here is some more info, I have items that start with 'A' and 'D' prefixs. 'A'
    sorting is not a problem since the numbers only go up to A69. The 'D's
    however go to 200. Is there any other way to sort, without retyping
    everything below 100, so I don't get the result below? Thanks.

    A59
    A60
    A63
    A69
    D00
    D01
    D08
    D09
    D10
    D100
    D101
    D108
    D109
    D11
    D110
    D118
    D119
    D12
    D120
    D128
    D129
    D13
    D130
    D136

  2. #2
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Alpha Numeric Part 2

    Hi,

    If your data are in A2:A101, create a helper column B as follows:

    In B2, =(CODE(LEFT(A2,1))-64)*10000+MID(A2,2,255)

    and autofill to B101. Select both columns (A2:B101) and sort by column B
    ascending.

    This formula would work as long as the numbers following the first letter do
    not have more than four digits (e.g., A9999).

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Alpha Numeric Part 2

    Hi

    One way
    Assuming your data is in column A, use a helper column with the formula
    =LEFT(A1)&TEXT(MID(A1,2,LEN(A1)-1),"000")
    Copy down for the length of range of data in column A
    Sort based on the helper column.

    Alternatively, if you don't mind altering your column A permanently, copy
    the whole of the helper column, move your cursor to the first data item in
    column A Paste Special>Values.
    You can then delete the helper column and sort by column A.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    CS Project Man
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Alpha Numeric Part 2

    Thanks for all the suggestions, adding the 00's after the prefix seems the
    easy way, I'll just do an Edit Auto fill.