how can I get excel at start up to only open excel files?

  1. #1
    Rose M
    Guest

    how can I get excel at start up to only open excel files?

    When I open excel it goes through all the files and folders in the My
    Documents folder including .doc files. I get message .doc files not
    compatible. How can I get excel to start only opening last 3 excel files
    instead of all file types in the specified path??

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: how can I get excel at start up to only open excel files?

    Rose

    Excel will attempt to open all files in the Tools>Options>General

    "at start up, open all files in"

    You must leave this dialog blank unless you want the files to start up from
    there.

    Can you get Excel opened far enough to edit this dialog?

    If not, you must delete/change it through the Windows Registry.

    Start>Run regedit

    Scroll to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options

    Select the AltStartUp key in right-hand window and "Modify"

    I would just delete for now.

    Close the registry and open Excel.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP