Shared spreadsheet

  1. #1
    syssupspe
    Guest

    Shared spreadsheet

    Hi,
    Can more than one person work in a shared spreadsheet, make changes and save
    them so they all get updated for all to see. Seems like the shared
    spreadsheet we have been working in doesn't save the changes all the users
    make, causing a lot of confusion. Are we missing something. Thanks

  2. #2
    Gilles Desjardins
    Guest

    Re: Shared spreadsheet

    One person will have to go to Tools, Share workbook, Allow changes by more
    than one user.

    All other persons will be able to access the file IN TURN. First come, first
    served. Second one sees the file as a copy. The second person will not see
    the changes until the first person closes after saving, the second person
    closes and reopens the file.
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. Access allows multiple users in the same database at the same time as
    long as it is not on the same record.

    Gilles

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Creator
    Guest

    RE: Shared spreadsheet

    Hi, if I understand the workings of the shared workbook concept properly it's
    as follows:
    1. More than one person will have write access to the file concurrently,
    i.e. no matter who's currently got the file open any subsequent user opening
    the file can save changes to the file;
    2. If someone saves changes to the file any other concurrent user will not
    see these changes until that user hits save. Then his computer will be
    refreshed with any previous previously saved to the file since the user
    opened it/ or last hit save;
    3. If more than one person tries to save at the same time whosoever hits
    save first will be allowed by Excel to save his/ her changes, the other user
    will get a file locked message. This user won't be able to save until the
    other user has finished saving. Usually in the order of seconds (of course
    depending on network speed, file size etc.)

    Tip: Before printing anything from a workbook that currently has more than
    one concurrent user tell everyone to hit save; after they've all done so you
    hit save so that you get everyone's changes, then you print.

    Hope this helps. bye
    --
    Creator