add a hire date to the end of year (12/31/05) and get Total years

  1. #1
    Sohoma Knome
    Guest

    add a hire date to the end of year (12/31/05) and get Total years

    I need to determine how many years employees have been here. I know the
    start date (example 6/02/98) At the end of this year (12/31/2005) this
    person has been here 7 1/2 years. What is the formula to have excel figure
    this, and display it in number form 7 1/2 or 7.5.

  2. #2
    Hi there,

    Depending on how accurate you need this to be you could use the formula =(DATEDIF(A1,B1,"d")/365), where A1 is the employee's start date and B1 is the year end date. This is only an approximation in the sense that a year isn't 365 days long but for the sake of this exercise it seems reasonable.

    Hope this helps.

    Andy

  3. #3

    Re: add a hire date to the end of year (12/31/05) and get Total years

    Take a look at Chip Pearson's site for =DateDif()
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm