Number of employees working at given time

  1. #1
    Scott
    Guest

    Number of employees working at given time

    I have a list of employees and the time they start and end working each day.
    They cover all three shifts and various days. Not every employee works every
    day. Using Excel 2003, can I determine the number of employees working each
    hour for each day using just their start and end times for the day? Meaning,
    I need to know how many employees are working between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM on
    Wednesday.

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Number of employees working at given time

    You can use the sumproduct function count the number of employees working.
    If the employees' start times are in B2:B3 and stop times are in C2:C3, with
    the time of interest in cell E2, then
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($E$2>=B2:B3)*--($E$2<C2:C3)) will tell you how many employees
    are working.
    --Bruce
    (For an explanation of how that works, check
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html)