Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

  1. #1
    rshep
    Guest

    Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

    Hi all,

    I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
    Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.

    You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can click on
    the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under the +. The "+"
    becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer hides the list again.

    That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office 2002,
    Excel 10.6501.

    Much appreciated...

    For the help.

  2. #2

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list,click "-" and hide list

    You can get those outlining symbols in a couple of ways:

    Select your range of rows (or columns)
    Data|Group and outline|Group

    Or by applying Data|Subtotals.

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

    rshep wrote...
    >I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
    >Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.

    Do you mean outlining? If so, it's under Data > Group and Outline.

  4. #4
    rshep
    Guest

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

    rshep <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it.
    > Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well.
    >
    > You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can click
    > on the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under the +. The
    > "+" becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer hides the
    > list again.
    >
    > That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office
    > 2002, Excel 10.6501.
    >
    > Much appreciated...
    >
    > For the help.

    Dave and Harlan

    Wow! This group is great. Thanks for the fast replies.

    I tried it on a text based list (about 5 rows)

    data:group:rows

    However, I notice that Excel puts the + - all the way to the left to the
    left of the row number.

    Excel also places the + one row below the actual label. That seems visually
    confusing to me. Is there a way to have Excel place the + on the same row
    as the label that identifies the hidden list?

    Is there a way to have it look and behave like Microsoft Explorer so that
    it puts the + right beside the label?

    Again, thanks for the replies!

    Royce

  5. #5
    rshep
    Guest

  6. #6

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list,click "-" and hide list

    Not really.

    You could fiddle around with buttons to hide/show rows, but I think your time
    will be better spent learning to accept excel for what it does naturally <bg>.

  7. #7
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

    If I understand what you're asking,

    Select rows 2 to 10, using the row headers, so that the *entire* row range
    is selected.

    Hold <Shift> + <Alt>
    then hit <RightArrow>

    This groups rows 2 to 10, with the outline symbol ( - ) next to Row11.

    NOW ... <Data> <Group&Outline> <Settings>
    *UNCHECK*
    "Summary Rows Below Detail", then <OK>

    This moves the outline symbol next to Row1.

    Is that what you're looking for?

    You'll notice that the same change can also be made for columns.

    BTW ... you can ungroup by using the <LeftArrow>

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    rshep
    Guest

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

    "RagDyer" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    RagDyer

    That's it!

    Thanks man. Thanks to all.

  9. #9
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list

    Appreciate the feed-back.

    RD

    RagDyer

    That's it!