excel file lost

  1. #1
    Vivek
    Guest

    excel file lost

    hi im vivek

    we were using a xls file which was shared in our lan, but one computer where
    it was physicaly present and opened in EXcel 2000, the excel generaetd error
    and got closed and from that instance this file is not viisble, i have tried
    to search it on n/w and the local comp where it was stored,but im not getting
    it. pls tell me if any one had faced thsi prob how to recover it, b'cause its
    very imp file for us. i got very confused how a file can be get vanished when
    a excel prog got error,

  2. #2
    Jed
    Guest

    Re: excel file lost

    Hi vivek
    Normally when Excel crashes, it generates a file in temporary directory
    or within same directory . The file generated can be of any name. eg
    79ea4400 and is uasually without any extension. If you roughly know what
    time Excel crashed, look for a file either in temporary directory or in the
    directory where the file was , that was created roughly at that time and
    rename that file to .xls eg 79ea4400.xls Open that file in Excel and
    hopefully all should be recovered. Hope this helps

    Regards
    Jed

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: excel file lost

    I think it's gone.

    For the future...

    You may want to turn on Autosave (tools|addins--you may need your original CD)
    to install it.

    Or....

    You may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin called AutoSafe (note
    spelling).

    It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
    selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
    them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
    recycle bin.

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
    (look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

    Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
    last version it saved.

  4. #4

    Re: excel file lost

    That funny named file doesn't get saved when excel crashes. It gets created
    when excel is saving the file. (If excel crashes while you're saving, you may
    see it then, too.)

    Some background:

    When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
    characters--no extension).

    If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
    backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
    rename the funny named file to the original's name.

  5. #5
    Vivek
    Guest

    Re: excel file lost

    thanks a lot dave, it works there was file with funny name, and i would like
    to also thanks for the utility u told it wll prevent this in future, i and my
    team is for thankful to u.
    bye