NORMSDIST

  1. #1
    crapatmath
    Guest

    NORMSDIST

    Hi All,
    I already posted this in the Worksheet Functions thread but I'm not sure if
    that was the right place?

    Anyway here is my question......
    Why is
    1-NORMSDIST(7.8) = 3.10862e-15
    while
    1-NORMSDIST(7.9) = 0

    Is there a limit to how far out the Gaussian PDF curve you can go before
    Excel rounds to zero?

    Thanks

    Barry

  2. #2
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: NORMSDIST

    Hi,

    =1-NORMSDIST(7.8600) = 1.887e-15
    =1-NORMSDIST(7.8800) = 1.776e-15
    =1-NORMSDIST(7.874962586) = 1.776e-15
    =1-NORMSDIST(7.874962587) = 0

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: NORMSDIST

    Hi,

    I am sorry, there was a typo in the second equation in my previsous response
    (the value in the NORMDIST function should have read "7.8680" and not
    "7.8800").

    =1-NORMSDIST(7.8600) = 1.887e-15
    =1-NORMSDIST(7.8680) = 1.776e-15 (corrected)