link update within workbook failing

  1. #1
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    link update within workbook failing

    Using XL2002 under WinXP, there are two worksheets in same workbook.

    Cell A1 in sheet 2 refers to cell A1 in sheet 1 using formula:

    =Sheet1!A1

    The problem is that contents of Sheet2, A1 doesn't update when cell A1
    in Sheet 1 updates even when recalculation (F9) is forced. The contents
    of Cell A1 in Sheet 1 is a formula. i.e.

    data > Sheet 1,A1 > Sheet 2, A1

    Sheet 2, A1 doesn't change when data changes.

    The contents of Sheet 2, Cell A1 will update when the formula in Sheet
    1, Cell A1 is modified. Problem doesn't seem to be related to protected
    cells.

    posted on microsoft.public.excel by
    WindsurferLA

  2. #2

    Re: link update within workbook failing

    I'd try:

    tools|options|Calculation tab
    check automatic

  3. #3
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: link update within workbook failing

    already tried that...

    It doesn't update even when you press F9

    WindsurferLA

  4. #4

    Re: link update within workbook failing

    But it is set for automatic?

    Try this--just to wake excel up.

    Select all the cells
    edit|Replace
    what: = (equal sign)
    with: = (same equal sign)
    replace all

    This will force excel to reevaluate all the formulas--and maybe wake it up for
    the next time.

  5. #5
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: link update within workbook failing

    what you suggested "wakes up" excel, but my son reports it doesn't stay
    awake. (Actuall the problem is one that my son is having, but he
    doesn't have access to newsgroups from his work computer. I'll check
    with him on Monday..

    WindsurferLA

  6. #6

    Re: link update within workbook failing

    I've never actually seen this happen in real life--but there have been lots of
    posts that describe the problem.

    If the "wake-up" call isn't sufficient, maybe it's time to rebuild the
    workbook--or at least a small portion to see if that works differently. (This
    is just a guess.)

  7. #7
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: link update within workbook failing

    Dave...Your suggestion to rebuild workbook is a good one.

    I also have had update failurs happen to me on rare occasion, then
    disappear for unknown reason as sheet(s) were reworked. After thinking
    about problem for a few days, I now suspect a circular computation
    formula that somehow is not being spotted by Excel. I'm continuing to
    investigate.

    In addition to this post, I trying to help my son by pressuring him to
    flow chart the logic of the program. He, like many others, just wants
    to get the spread sheet working with first addressing its overall
    design. Software quality is not under control if you don't have a design
    and a method to check the validity of your design.

    Windsurfer.