How to add text to all existing records in one column?

  1. #1
    usmleboy
    Guest

    How to add text to all existing records in one column?

    Hi Friends,

    I have another question to ask. I had this problem many times - and do not
    know how to solve it. Ok:

    I have a column with information on patients blood samples, such as:

    RA3453 ST
    RA4322 TA

    I have to add "OCT" to each record in this column in most simple way (there
    are 18.000 records). The result for these samples should be like this:
    OCT RA3453 ST
    OCT RA4322 TA

    Thanks in advance
    Daniel (usmleboy)

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest
    In a helper (blank) column put this:

    ="OCT "&B1

    copy down or if the ajacent column has data all the way down with no empty rows then double click on the black square in the bottom right corner of the cell.

    Another way might be to use the Replace function under the Edit menu, but ONLY and ONLY if the entire column starts with RA and RA is not found in any other part of your data....middle or end only at the beginning.

    replace what: RA
    replace with: OCT RA
    Save your data before attempting that.

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3

    Re: How to add text to all existing records in one column?

    If your data always starts with RA, then
    select the column
    Edit|Replace
    what: RA
    with: OCT RA
    replace all.

    If your prefix varies, I'd use another column and fill it full of formulas like:

    ="OCT " & a1
    And drag down

    Then edit|copy
    edit|paste special|values
    (over the original values)
    and delete the helper column.

  4. #4
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: How to add text to all existing records in one column?

    There are a couple different ways to do this. The easiest would be to do a
    FIND/REPLACE. If All of your data has the same format as below (All starts
    with "RA"), then you could Find "RA?" and Replace with "OCT RA"

    Otherwise, you could insert a new column and enter the formula:

    ="OCT " & A1 (Replace A1 with your cell reference)

    Then copy it down through all your rows. After that, select all of the
    cells in the new column and COPY. Then select your original column and PASTE
    SPECIAL... Select "Values". Then delete the new column you added.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  5. #5
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: How to add text to all existing records in one column?

    In a helper column, in say B2, type: ="OCT "&A2 assuming your data starts in
    A2. Then copy down to capture all your cells. Finally, copy the cells in
    column B and paste special-values onto column A. HTH
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin