Digital Signature

  1. #1
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Digital Signature

    I am not sure if this is an Excel or a Windows question.

    Can anyone tell me how you can remove a signature from the signature dialog
    box after creating one via SelfCert.exe?

    I don't mean remove it from the excel file I mean from the choice of
    signature dialog box you are presented with when attaching a signature to a
    spreadsheet.

    --
    Regards

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk

  2. #2
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Digital Signature

    Sandy Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...>I am not sure if this is an
    Excel or a Windows question.

    > Can anyone tell me how you can remove a signature from the signature
    > dialog box after creating one via SelfCert.exe?
    >
    > I don't mean remove it from the excel file I mean from the choice of
    > signature dialog box you are presented with when attaching a signature to
    > a spreadsheet.

    I guess that's a no then :-(

    Out of interest what happened was that at work we had a Windows 2000 server
    that the company that does out IT decided to upgrade to 2003, (and possibly
    other things?).

    Anyway after they had done whatever they did I found that the digital
    signature that I had previously created no longer worked. I created another
    one and was able to re-sign my projects with that one but it has left me
    with two signatures - one of which works and one that doesn't and I would
    like to get rid of the one that doesn't work. It would be no use asking
    this company that did the upgrade because I would just get the answer - as I
    have had before - that they do not do *Applications* only systems,

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk
    "> --

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Digital Signature

    Sandy

    The selfcert signature can be removed from your computer through the
    Windows Management Maintenance Console.

    Start>Run "mmc"(no quotes)>File>Add/Remove Snap-in.

    Add>Certificates>Current User>Add>OK

    After the Certificates Snap-in loads expand it and click on
    "Personal".

    Delete any you don't want from the list.

    This KB article is for Windows 2000 server, but I found it works for
    Windows
    XP.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Digital Signature

    Thank you very much Gord. I will get on to it at work tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Digital Signature

    Hi Gord,

    Just a follow up to the info you provided. The link was re-directed to:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=gp;[ln];kberror&style=error

    which said that the KB article was not available but that they knew about
    it.

    It didn't matter because the instructions that you gave were more than
    enough for me to be able to delete the unwanted signature.

    I had stupidly created two signatures exactly the same because I thought
    that the new one would overwrite the old one but I just ended up with two
    indistinguishable signatures - thus my quest to delete the non-working one.

    Thank again for going to so much trouble.

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Digital Signature

    Thanks for update on the busted link.

    I'll leave it out of any postings in future.

    Gord