Change order of text in a cell?

  1. #1
    abqhusker
    Guest

    Change order of text in a cell?

    A1=John Smith, I was able to find on the internet how to reverse it to =
    Smith John. Question is if A1=John L Smith, then the formula changes it
    to L Smith John. Is there a formula to make John L Smith change to
    Smith John L? Is there a formula that can add the comma after the last
    name also? Appreciate any help you can give me. I'm tiring out looking
    for the answer on the internet, primarily because I having a hard time
    typing in a good keyword in google cause I'm not sure how to describe
    this problem (eg text manipulation, reversing order, switch text string,
    etc). Thanks in advance.

    Ed

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Change order of text in a cell?

    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)+1,99)&", "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND("
    ",A1,1)+1))

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    abqhusker
    Guest

    Re: Change order of text in a cell?

    Thanks for replying, Chuck. It works perfectly. I wish I could write
    formulas like that. I have no idea what the MID, FIND, and LEFT
    function work. Can you recommend a good resource for learning that kind
    of stuff. In any event, thanks a million again.

    Ed

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Change order of text in a cell?

    You're more than welcome Ed, and thanks for the nice note of appreciation.
    As for learning the TEXT type formulas, the HELP file does have a basic,
    albeit difficult to understand explanation.......the rest is a matter of
    just playing with them back and forth until you get comfortable with them
    and can get them to do what you want........and keep reading and searching
    these newsgroups, and asking questions per your need.......they are the
    greatest source of info on how to use Excel that I have found.........