How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

  1. #1
    sbwilliams
    Guest

    How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

    Using MS Excel 2003:

    As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1:
    "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to
    fill Yellow and font color red.

    I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background
    when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

    in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show
    up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if
    statement in the cell.If it blank test will be red
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:00:02 -0800, "sbwilliams"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Using MS Excel 2003:
    >
    >As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1:
    >"Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to
    >fill Yellow and font color red.
    >
    >I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background
    >when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas?

    You're doing it wrong.

    Put your formula in cell B1.

    For your conditional format:

    Cell Value Is Equal To: Test

    --ron

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

    Hi

    Your formula for B1 is fine.
    For Conditional Format, all you require is =A1=""

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?

    What if you change formula in B1's Formula Is to =A1 =""
    Then, when A1 is blank B1 will adopt the yellow fill and red font
    color.
    Ken Johnson