When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

  1. #1

    Angry When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

    When i use the MONTH(A3) Function and A3 is blank, excel takes it as a 0! ie. MONTH(0) and returns January as the month because the date in serial is 00-Jan-1900. How do i get around this! Here is my Formula:

    I am trying to count the number of months that are used, i have done this with this formula below: It works perfect for all months except for Jan! because it think that blanks cells are a serial date 0.

    {=SUM(IF(MONTH(Data!A2:A7)=1,1,0))}

    __________________
    | A |
    1 | Date |
    2 | 01-01-05 |
    3 | 04-04-05 |
    4 | 04-04-05 |
    5 | |
    6 | 01-01-05 |
    7 | |
    ----------------------

    The above formula and data returns Jan Count = 4, but as you can see there is only 2 January!

    PLEASE HELP! Lol

    I have tried to use the ISBLANK function but i could not work out how to incorporate it into my problem.

    I did Ctrl - Shift - Enter to do an array also as you can see by bracets..

    I also Attach a pic of my problem~ Hope it helps!

    Matt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

    Hi!

    Try this (normally entered, not an array):

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(DATA!A2:A7)),--(MONTH(DATA!A2:A7)=1))

    Biff

    "mahou" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:30:15 -0600, mahou
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When i use the MONTH(A3) Function and A3 is blank, excel takes it as a
    >0! ie. MONTH(0) and returns January as the month because the date in
    >serial is 00-Jan-1900. How do i get around this! Here is my Formula:
    >
    >I am trying to count the number of months that are used, i have done
    >this with this formula below: It works perfect for all months except
    >for Jan! because it think that blanks cells are a serial date 0.
    >
    >{=SUM(IF(MONTH(DATA!A2:A7)=1,1,0))}

    =SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(Data!A2:A7)*(MONTH(Data!A2:A7=1)))

    Just enter as a normal formula.

    >__________________
    >| A |
    >1 | Date |
    >2 | 01-01-05 |
    >3 | 04-04-05 |
    >4 | 04-04-05 |
    >5 | |
    >6 | 01-01-05 |
    >7 | |
    >----------------------
    >
    >* T h e a b o v e f o r m u l a a n d d a t a r e t u r n s
    >J a n C o u n t = 4 , b u t a s y o u c a n s e e t h
    >e r e i s o n l y 2 J a n u a r y ! *
    >: m a d : : c o n f u s e d :
    >P L E A S E H E L P ! L o l
    >
    >I have tried to use the ISBLANK function but i could not work out how
    >to incorporate it into my problem.
    >
    >I did Ctrl - Shift - Enter to do an array also as you can see by
    >bracets..
    >
    >I also Attach a pic of my problem~ Hope it helps!
    >
    >Matt.
    >

    >+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >|Filename: problem.JPG |
    >|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4193 |
    >+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --ron

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

    Typo Alert:

    My response should read:

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When i use the MONTH(A3) Function and A3 is blank, excel takes it as a
    >0! ie. MONTH(0) and returns January as the month because the date in
    >serial is 00-Jan-1900. How do i get around this! Here is my Formula:
    >
    >I am trying to count the number of months that are used, i have done
    >this with this formula below: It works perfect for all months except
    >for Jan! because it think that blanks cells are a serial date 0.
    >
    >{=SUM(IF(MONTH(DATA!A2:A7)=1,1,0))}
    >
    >__________________
    >| A |
    >1 | Date |
    >2 | 01-01-05 |
    >3 | 04-04-05 |
    >4 | 04-04-05 |
    >5 | |
    >6 | 01-01-05 |
    >7 | |
    >----------------------
    >
    >* T h e a b o v e f o r m u l a a n d d a t a r e t u r n s
    >J a n C o u n t = 4 , b u t a s y o u c a n s e e t h
    >e r e i s o n l y 2 J a n u a r y ! *
    >: m a d : : c o n f u s e d :
    >P L E A S E H E L P ! L o l
    >
    >I have tried to use the ISBLANK function but i could not work out how
    >to incorporate it into my problem.
    >
    >I did Ctrl - Shift - Enter to do an array also as you can see by
    >bracets..
    >
    >I also Attach a pic of my problem~ Hope it helps!
    >
    >Matt.
    >

    >+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    >|Filename: problem.JPG |
    >|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4193 |
    >+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --ron

  5. #5
    Hi Biff you are a fricken Legend! Ron you could be too but i used Biff's Because it was first and it worked perfect thanks heaps!!

    MAtt.

  6. #6
    Linc
    Guest

    Re: When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

    =SUM(IF(AND(A2:A7)<>"",MONTH(A2:A7)=1),1,0)

    This works for me. I don't get the curly brackets in Excel 2002,
    though.

  7. #7
    Linc
    Guest

    Re: When using MONTH function on Blank Cell!! Returns Month=Jan!

    =SUM(IF(AND(Data!A2:A7)<>"",MONTH(Data!A2:A7)=1),1,0)

    This works for me.