[SOLVED] Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

  1. #1
    Paul
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Recently, you helped me out on the Microsoft Office discussion board, and
    that was greatly appreciated. I need to take this scheduling spreadsheet to
    the next level, though, and I was hoping to impose upon you one more time for
    some help. The following formula is currently being used to figure the number
    of hours worked daily less a 30 minute lunch:

    =IF(COUNT(B3:C3)<=0,0,TEXT((C3-B3)-TIME(0,30,0),"h:mm"))

    Here's where I really need the help. I would like to work something into the
    formula for the following info:

    work 5.5 hours or less = no lunch

    work 9 - 9.75 hours = 45 minute lunch

    work 10 or more hours = 60 minute lunch

    The 5.5 hours worked formula is not as important to me as the others, but it
    would be nice to have.

    Please let me know if there is any other info you might need, or if you even
    want to take this on.

    Thank you,

    Paul

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Hi!

    Let me see if I can find your other post to refresh my memory. I vaguely
    remember. One minor point until then:

    > =IF(COUNT(B3:C3)<=0,0,TEXT((C3-B3)-TIME(0,30,0),"h:mm"))

    Since the COUNT cannot be less than 0, there's no need for the less than (<)
    comparison but as is, has no impact on the formula. It might also be better
    to make sure there are at least 2 entries in B3:C3 (time entries?). Let me
    see if I can find the other post. I'm wondering why you want(ed) the result
    as a TEXT value?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Hi!

    Here's that other thread:

    http://tinyurl.com/9h8c5

    There's a slight "glitch" in your time increments:

    > work 9 - 9.75 hours = 45 minute lunch
    > work 10 or more hours = 60 minute lunch

    What happens if someone works more than 9.75 hrs but less than or equal
    to10?

    Here's what I came up with:

    <=5.5 = 0
    <=9.0 = 30
    <=10.0 = 45
    >10 = 60

    =IF(COUNT(B3:C3)<>2,0,TEXT((C3-B3)-IF((C3-B3)*24<=5.5,0,IF((C3-B3)*24<=9,TIME(0,30,0),IF((C3-B3)*24<=10,TIME(0,45,0),TIME(1,0,0)))),"h:mm"))

    Still can't figure out why you want the result as TEXT!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Another way:
    =IF(COUNT(B3:C3)<=0,0,TEXT((C3-B3)-TIME(0,LOOKUP((C3-B3)*24,{5.5,9,10},{30,45,60}),0),"h:mm"))

    JG

  5. #5
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Slight modification to my formula
    =IF(COUNT(B3:C3)<=0,0,TEXT((C3-B3)-TIME(0,LOOKUP((C3-B3)*24,{0,5.5,9,10},{0,30,45,60}),0),"h:mm"))
    or
    =IF(COUNT(B3:C3)<=0,0,(C3-B3)-TIME(0,LOOKUP((C3-B3)*24,{0,5.5,9,10},{0,30,45,60}),0))
    with cell formatted as h:mm

    JG

  6. #6
    Paul
    Guest

    RE: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    I'm not sure if this makes any difference in any of the formulas, but I am
    using validated dropdowns in the cells (ex B3 & C3) that contain AM & PM.
    None of these formulas have given me any results. Thank you to both of you
    for your efforts. I'll check back again.

  7. #7
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Hi Paul, just tested the formula with validation lists in B3 and C3 the lists
    were taken from a range of cells with different time intervals and with the
    cells formatted as h:mm AM/PM, it had no effect on the results, the formula
    worked like a charm. If your formula worked before I see no reason why it
    wouldn't work now. It is basically the same except for the LOOKUP bit. Maybe
    Biff has an answer.

    Regards
    JG

  8. #8
    Paul
    Guest

    RE: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Biff & JG,

    Thank you both so very much for all your help!!! After some minor tweaking
    of your suggestions, I have the formula working just the way I want it. Now I
    have a new, minor dilema. My company has added Sunday hours and an idea I
    originally wanted to incorporate (scheduled to work less than 6 hours = 0
    time for lunch) really comes into play, as we will only be open 4 hours on
    Sunday's. Also, do either of you know of an easy way of copying a validated
    cell to new cells. The process I used was very cumbersome; validating each
    cell. Once again, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

    Paul

  9. #9
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Hi Paul,

    Not sure what your final formula looks like but the one I gave you would account for hours lesss than 5.5 giving 0 time for lunch break, and since you would open for just 4 hours on sundays there should be no problem. As for the second part, validation list can be copied and pasted at will. Or you can select a range of cells, create your list and it will insert the list in all the selected cells.

    HTH
    JG

  10. #10
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    JG,

    You're right, it does account for a 4 hour shift. I attempted it at the
    office and something about that didn't work right. When I tried it at home,
    it worked fine. As for the copying of validated cells- I just attempted it,
    and for every cell down I copied it to, it removed one line of my dropdown.
    My dropdown contains half hour increments ranging from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
    When I copy it one cell below, the dropdown starts at 7:30 AM, then 8:00 AM
    next cell down, etc.. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Paul

  11. #11
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Wow.....that is strange....Where did you get your list from? And how did you create it?

    JG

  12. #12
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    From a downward range of cells (b41,b42,b43,etc) outside my work area.

  13. #13
    pinmaster
    Guest
    Hi Paul,

    I don't know why I didn't think about this last night but you have to make the range reference absolute.

    =$B$42:$B$60

    Regards
    JG

  14. #14
    Paul
    Guest

    Re: Biff or anyone- A further challenge for work schedule creation

    Thank you both very much!!!!

    This is going to make a lot of our manager's lives a lot easier. Scheduling
    has always been a very time consuming process, but with the great help you
    both provided me, scheduling time has probably been cut in half. And, as an
    added bonus, I've learned a lot more about some of Excel's functions.

    Paul