Floating Point

  1. #1
    Kathleen Bell
    Guest

    Floating Point

    Years ago I heard about the way Excel stores numbers. I wrote it off as
    something accountants would never have to deal with since we weren't dealing
    with high precision numbers. Well...

    This past week I tried to upload a journal entry that had about 15K lines.
    The computer rejected it as not balancing. In the ninth and tenth decimal
    places there was a 15. We tried everything. It became a "class project".
    We tried rounding up, rounding down, just plain rounding, truncating. We
    copied as values, copied as text and then recopied as numbers. Finally we
    found a website that talked about the floating point, something which
    something that sort of came out of the recesses of my memory. There was no
    other explanation.

    I split the journal entry into three and somehow the new combination of
    numbers got rid of the phantom number way out there and they went through.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Floating Point

    take a look here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

  3. #3

    RE: Floating Point

    "Kathleen Bell" wrote:
    > Finally we found a website that talked about the
    > floating point, something which something that sort
    > of came out of the recesses of my memory. There
    > was no other explanation.
    >
    > I split the journal entry into three and somehow the
    > new combination of numbers got rid of the phantom
    > number way out there and they went through.

    Do you have a question? Perhaps it would help to read
    the following KB articles:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214118/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/78113/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/57298/en-us