Analysing data through pivot

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    Analysing data through pivot

    Hi,

    I am trying to convert the payroll data I receive from my clients into a csv
    file that I import in to my payroll program. Ideally I would like it to be
    all automatic (marco).

    The problem lies in the variable nature of the information I receive.

    Here is the basic layout:

    NAME | ID | Basic pay | Commission | Overtime

    Bob 2 500 300 50
    James 3 400 20
    Sarah 4 500
    And so forth

    THe layout I am trying to achieve is the following:

    Bob 2 Basic pay 500
    Bob 2 Commission 300
    Bob 2 Overtime 50
    James 3 Basic pay 400
    James 3 Overtime 40
    sarah 4 basic pay 500
    I can transpose the detail & amount easily but how can I get excel to
    automatically match the name and ID number for each field. As you can see Bob
    has 3 entries ,James has 2 and sarah only one. The number of employees varies
    every month and their payroll details also.

    Any help would be great.

    Thank You

  2. #2
    ERR229
    Guest

    RE: Analysing data through pivot

    Hi Chris,

    It looks as though you're trying to use Excel as a relational database and
    it's not designed for that. Do you have Access by any chance? That would
    really be the way to go.
    --
    ERR229

  3. #3
    Chris
    Guest

    RE: Analysing data through pivot

    Yes I was afraid of that.

    The client doesn't use access so I was trying to keep everything on excel.

    However, can I set an automated process like a macro to perform this task
    through access and still end up with a csv file?

    I use access & excel but always seperatly so I don't know if they can
    interact with each other in a suitable way for this task.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Analysing data through pivot

    Hi Chris

    Mark your data range
    Data>Pivot Table>Multiple Consolidation ranges>Next>I will create page
    Fields>Next>Range> enter your range of data>Next>Finish

    On the new page created with the Pivot Table, select the bottom right
    cell Grand Total of Columns and Grand Total of Rows.
    Double Click
    A new page will be created with data set out as follows
    Row Column Value
    Bob Basic Pay 500
    Bob Commission 300
    Bob ID 2
    Bob Overtime 50
    James Basic Pay 400
    James Commission
    James ID 3
    James Overtime 20
    Sarah Basic Pay 500
    Sarah Commission
    Sarah ID 4
    Sarah Overtime

    Change Heading Row to Name, Column to Type
    If you do need the ID numbers in a column, next to Name, then insert a
    new column A and enter the following array formula in A2.
    To enter an array formula (or modify it) commit with Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    and Excel will insert the curly braces { } for you. Do not type them
    yourself.
    {=INDEX($B$2:$D$13,MATCH(B2&"ID",$B$2:$B$13&$C$2:$C$13,0),3)}
    copy down through B3:B13.
    Copy B2:B13, Paste Special>Values back over the formulae in B2:B13

    If you don't then need the rows containing the ID, then,
    Data>Filter>Autofilter>use dropdown on Type to Select ID.
    Mark the range of visible rows by selecting their row numbers>Right
    click>Delete.

    Obviously you will have a lot more data, hence your ranges as above will
    be expanded.
    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier