Finding a string/using adjacent data question

  1. #1

    Finding a string/using adjacent data question

    It's a convuluted question that I hope has an easy answer. I'm rather
    new to Excel formulas, so I've been trying to find stuff about this on
    the internet but with not much luck. If anyone can help me at all I
    would greatly appreciate it.

    I have text strings in column A, A2-A335. I have numerical values that
    correspond to each text string in columns B-O.

    What I'm hoping to do is run a search for a given text string in column
    A and then use the numerical values in D, H, and O for further
    calculations.

    I want to be able to type in a name in column Q (for example) and have
    the formula return the values from the same row in columns D,H, and O
    in descending format below the name. So, if I typed in, 'Bob,' in cell
    Q2, for example, below my name it might return:

    45 (from column D)
    73 (from column H)
    26 (from column O)

    If you're still confused by what I'm requesting, I'll rephrase it as
    best I can in sentence form:

    First cell below the name:

    "Search column A for the string given directly above this cell (Q2,
    perhaps). If the specified string is found, return the number in that
    row from the D column."

    Second cell below the name:

    "Search column A for the string given two cells above this cell (again,
    Q2, perhaps). If the specified string is found, return the number in
    that row from the H column."

    Third cell below the name:

    ""Search column A for the string given three cells above this cell
    (again, Q2, perhaps). If the specified string is found, return the
    number in that row from the O column."

    I'm not sure if this can be done but if anyone knows that it can be and
    how, I would really appreciate it. If you need more information, say
    the word and it will be here.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Finding a string/using adjacent data question

    Hi
    One way,
    in Q3 =VLOOKUP($Q$2,$A$2:$O$17,4,0)
    in Q4 =VLOOKUP($Q$2,$A$2:$O$17,8,0)
    in Q5 =VLOOKUP($Q$2,$A$2:$O$17,15,0)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: Finding a string/using adjacent data question

    in Q3: =VLOOKUP($Q$2,A2:D335,4,FALSE)
    in Q4: =VLOOKUP($Q$2,A2:H335,8,FALSE)
    in Q5: =VLOOKUP($Q$2,A2:O335,15,FALSE)

    Regards,
    Stefi

    [email protected]” ezt *rta:

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Finding a string/using adjacent data question

    you want the VLOOKUP function. It will look like this.

    Q1: "Text Here"
    Q2: =VLOOKUP(Q1,A2:O335,4,FALSE)
    Q2: =VLOOKUP(Q1,A2:O335,8,FALSE)
    Q3: =VLOOKUP(Q1,A2:O335,15,FALSE)

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Finding a string/using adjacent data question

    Hi

    I'm sorry, I was testing on a smaller range and only went to row 17. You
    need to extend to row 335
    The formulae should also be wrapped in IF() statements also, to prevent
    #N/A when there is no value entered in Q2

    in Q3 =IF($Q$2="","",VLOOKUP($Q$2,$A$2:$O$335,4,0))
    in Q4 =IF($Q$2="","",VLOOKUP($Q$2,$A$2:$O$335,8,0))
    in Q5 =IF($Q$2="","",VLOOKUP($Q$2,$A$2:$O$335,21,0))

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier