Show text data in excel pivot table

  1. #1
    Kathy Kirk
    Guest

    Show text data in excel pivot table

    Using Excel 2003, I'd like to display text data in the Data Items area of a
    pivot table. Currently, I see the number 1 in the field. I've changed the
    format to "Text", which has no effect on the data that's displayed. Is it
    possible to display text data in the Data Item area of a pivot table?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Show text data in excel pivot table

    No, but....You can drag the text field into 2 places: the ROWS section and
    the DATA section. Just set the field in the DATA section to "Count of"

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Kathy Kirk
    Guest

    RE: Show text data in excel pivot table

    Thanks for looking at this issue!

    What I'd like to see in the Data area is the text value of the field. I'm
    trying to transpose a CSV data file from multiple rows per student to one row
    per student. I don't have numeric data to view in the Data Item area, I have
    a text data field that has values of either "Received" or "Not Received".

    Currently, the Field Setting of the field in the Data item area is set to
    "Count of" and for each field that has a value (Received or Not Received), I
    see the number "1" in the Data area. Sounds like seeing the text value is not
    possible, though. Any way to work around this? Can a formula be used to
    translate the value of the field (not the "Count of" value) to something like
    "Yes" or "No"?

    Kathy