Excel Workbook slow to open

  1. #1
    Sandy M
    Guest

    Excel Workbook slow to open

    One of our guys created a workbook that takes about 3 minutes to open.

    It has about 12,700 blank lines and he has it protected so that people
    can't change it.

    Would this cause it to take a long time to open?

    What you recommend that he do to speed it up?

    Thanks,

    Sandy M

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Excel Workbook slow to open

    Sandy
    The size of the file controls how long it takes to open the file. The
    size of the file is controlled by, among other things, what Excel thinks is
    the used range of each sheet. Let's say that you type something in A1 and
    something in IV12000. You have only 2 entries in the entire sheet. Excel
    thinks the used range is A1:IV12000. That is not a small used range. If
    you had put the entries in A1 and B2, Excel would think the used range was
    A1:B2. That is a small used range. Yes, those 12,700 blank rows that he
    has would significantly increase the size of the file and the time it takes
    to open.
    Be advised that if he eliminates all those blank rows, Excel may still
    think the used range is what it was before. He will need to delete all the
    rows and columns after his real last used cell. Post back for more
    information on this if you need it. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Excel Workbook slow to open

    Try closing excel and cleaning up your windows temp folder--it might help and it
    can't hurt.

    windows start button|Run
    %temp%
    is a quick way to get there.

    And here are a couple of sites that discuss slow performance. The first is by
    Charles Williams and the second by David McRitchie:

    http://www.decisionmodels.com
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm