Periodically listing files in a folder

  1. #1

    Periodically listing files in a folder

    Hi

    I have a folder containing photos which are updated on a daily basis (added to,replaced and removed.) I'm trying to set up a tracking system to monitor the folder contents.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction to listing the contents of a folder using VBA?

    Ideally I'd like to have the code associted with a button which updates the file listing completely within excel.

    I currently generate a txt file from a dos prompt, link to this and update whenever neccesary.

    Cheers
    Tom

  2. #2
    Michael Gill
    Guest

    RE: Periodically listing files in a folder

    Hi Tom,

    The code to achieve this is:
    Sub dirList()
    Dim MyFile, MyPath, MyName

    Range("A1").Select

    MyPath = "c:\"
    MyName = Dir(MyPath)
    Do While MyName <> ""
    If MyName <> "." And MyName <> ".." Then
    ActiveCell.Value = MyName
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate
    End If
    MyName = Dir
    Loop

    end sub

    To get a button to launch it in Excel right click on the button bar and
    select customise. Then, in the Toolbar tab click Add. Then go to Commands
    tab, select Macros from the Categories box, and drag 'Custom Button' to your
    new menu.

    The last step is to right-click on your new button, select 'Assign Macro'
    and point it to the new macro that you have just created.

    Michael

  3. #3
    Jack Sons
    Guest

    Re: Periodically listing files in a folder

    Tom,

    For the Word-macro below (I saw it long ago in a Word news letter) you do
    not need to enter the path (very convenient!).

    Put this macro in Word and execute it. In the appearing "open" dialog box
    just select your directory and highlight (click on) any file in it. Click on
    the "open"-button (or OK-button, I do not know its name in the English
    version) to open the file. It will not open, but instantly you will get a
    Word document with lists the names of all files in that directory, topped by
    the full path of your directory.

    You can use it for any directory that you select (Excel, Word, C, D etc.)
    without knowing or entering its full path. The result is a neat Word
    document. Try it, it works like a charm.

    Disregard the 'text in Dutch, it says the same as I wrote above.

    Jack Sons
    The Netherlands

    Sub Content_Directory()

    ' deze macro maakt het mogelijk een directory uit te printen doordat
    ' er een lijst in een Worddocument van wordt gemaakt
    ' als deze sub wordt uitgevoerd verschijnt de "normale" Open-dialogbox.
    ' Daarin moet een willekerig bestand worden aangeklikt (wordt dus blauw
    ' gehighlighted, en als dan op de knop "Openen" wordt geklikt, zal een
    ' nieuw Worddocument ontstaan - bij voorbeeld "document 1" - dat de
    ' complete list met bestanden bevat, met bovenaan het volledige pad
    ' naar de directory.

    Dim PathWanted As String
    Dim Temp As String
    Dim i As Integer

    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
    .Name = "*.*"
    If .Display = -1 Then
    'Documents.Add

    PathWanted = Options.DefaultFilePath(wdDocumentsPath)
    Set newdoc = Documents.Add
    With newdoc
    .Content.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
    .SaveAs FileName:=PathWanted
    End With

    Selection.TypeText "Files in " & PathWanted & ":" & vbCrLf
    With Application.FileSearch
    .LookIn = PathWanted
    .FileName = "*.*"
    If .Execute > 0 Then