sorting with a formula

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    sorting with a formula

    I am a teacher working with EXCEL. I have a list - 3 classes each
    alphabetical, but not with final grades. I want a list - 1 list with grade
    and then alphabetical listing. I am trying to set this up before the final
    grades are list (and subject to change).

    The original list has last name (A), first name (B), student ID (C), class 9
    thru 12 (D), and I want to put the average in (E).

    I am copying CTRL-C and CTRL-V from A-D and moving to G-J and then I tried
    in cell K3 the formula =E3 and dragged that down thru the column. When I
    sorted G thru K based on J and A and B the K column stayed in the same order
    while the other columns sorted. How do I get the K column to 'sort' like
    the other (I) columns did?

    I tried the idea of putting a '$' on the number part of the formula, but I
    know that will not drag down. Instead of =E3, I made it =E$3, and that one
    moved but K3 now was still = E3. Is there an easy way to put the dollar sign
    on all (the whole column) ?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: sorting with a formula

    You could use a formula of

    =INDEX($E$2:$E$200,MATCH(J2&K2,$A$2:$A$200&$B$2:$B$200,0))

    which is an array formula, committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    Bob Phillips

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: sorting with a formula

    I am just getting "#VALUE", and am not getting the cell to change. When I go
    to fx at the top it shows the value of 7 as I expected, but it does not show
    in the cell. It asks whether it is an array or a reference.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: sorting with a formula

    Did you array-enter it?

  5. #5

    Re: sorting with a formula

    what do you mean array-enter it? How do you do this?

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: sorting with a formula

    When you type the formula in, don't press Enter, but Ctrl-Shift-Enter
    together. If successful, Excel inserts {..} around the formula in the
    formula bar. When you re-edit, you commit in the same way.

    Bob Phillips

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > what do you mean array-enter it? How do you do this?
    >
    > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you array-enter it?
    > >
    > > --
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Bob Phillips
    > >
    > > (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct)
    > >
    > > "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

    wrote
    > > in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am just getting "#VALUE", and am not getting the cell to change.

    When I
    > > go
    > > > to fx at the top it shows the value of 7 as I expected, but it does

    not
    > > show
    > > > in the cell. It asks whether it is an array or a reference.

    <[email protected]>
    > > wrote

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Lucybocca
    Guest

    RE: sorting with a formula

    You can copy and past entire rows or columns by clicking on the column itself
    or row itself. Also, if you want to just look at one column, you can hide
    the other columns.

    Also, you can put the same information on different Sheets, rather than
    putting them side by side.

    When sorting, be sure you are not hiding any columns or rows, it will not
    sort correctly. Also be sure each column has a heading before sorting, then
    when you click on sort, select column header.

    $ makes the column or row "absolute". If you put $E3 then the column will
    stay the same but the row will change when your copy it. If you put E$3, the
    row will change, but the colum will stay the same. If you put $E$3, then the
    data will stay the same no matter where you copy it.

    Lucybocca