Autofill but with a custom rule??

  1. #1
    Mitch
    Guest

    Autofill but with a custom rule??

    Hi,

    Is it possible to autofill with custom rules. Example:

    Cell A1 contains a row of IF functions with references to let's say C4, G4
    and H4. If i autofill this normally A2 would contain the same IF functions
    but now with references to C5, G5 and H5 unless $ is used of course. My
    dilemma is that I want Excel to fill A2 with the same If function as A1 but
    with references now to C6, G6 and H6 and then when i autofill A3 I want it to
    contain the same IF function referring to C8, G8 and H8, so on and so forth.
    Since I paste data in to one sheet and then use another sheet to compile it
    this feature would be very helpful to me but I realize that it's unlikely
    that this is possible... still wanted to ask though.

    Regards
    Mitch

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: Autofill but with a custom rule??

    Yes it is, have a look at this formula:
    =SUM(INDIRECT("G"&ROW(2:2)*2&":H"&ROW(2:2)*2))*INDIRECT("C"&ROW(2:2)*2)
    which is equal to =sum(G4:H4)*C4 but when copied down becomes
    =sum(G6:H6)*C6 and so on

    the trick is to use the INDIRECT and the ROW() functions.

    Hope this helps!
    JG