How do a I use a spread sheet to track grades?

  1. #1
    NicoleLT06
    Guest

    How do a I use a spread sheet to track grades?

    I'm trying to use Excel, which I know is possible, to set up a grade book
    without using a template. I can enter students and points, I just don't know
    how to get it to average and give a letter grade. I don't want to download a
    template because I know there's a way to do it without one.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do a I use a spread sheet to track grades?

    Nicole

    To get an average use the AVERAGE function as in =AVERAGE(A1:A50)

    To convert scores to letter grades use a Lookup table and VLOOKUP functions.

    OR a Lookup formula without a table

    Assuming scores are in column A starting at A1.

    In B1 enter this formula then drag/copy down column B

    =LOOKUP(A1,{0,31,41,51,61,71,81,91,101},{"E","D","C-","C","C+","B","B+","A"})

    Example only. Adapt for your scores and grades.

    Note the curly braces internally.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: How do a I use a spread sheet to track grades?

    This might help!

    let's assume you have test score in A1:A10, you would use =AVERAGE(A1:A10)
    in B1 to get an average score, then in another cell you would put:
    =LOOKUP(B1,{0,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100},{"F","D","C-","C","C+","B-","B","B+","A-","A","A+"})
    to get a matching grade.

    {0,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100}..... these scores will trigger a
    different letter grade...... i.e a score of 63 would be C-, a 50 an F and so
    on.
    and
    {"F","D","C-","C","C+","B-","B","B+","A-","A","A+"}...matching letter grades

    of course the scores and matching letter grade are just made up so you would
    need to ajust them. Just make sure you have the same number of entry in each
    brackets.

    Hope this help!
    JG

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    UK
    Can it be done so a range of numbers applies to a certain grade?

    Example -

    50-55 = C
    56-60 = B
    61-100 = A

  5. #5
    pinmaster
    Guest

    Re: How do a I use a spread sheet to track grades?

    Yes, all you need to is alter the lookup value and corresponding grades.
    =LOOKUP(A1,{0,50,56,61},{"D","C","B","A"})

    HTH
    JG

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    UK
    Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb, please could you show me an example?

  7. #7
    pinmaster
    Guest

    Re: How do a I use a spread sheet to track grades?

    Well for example you have a range of numbers in A1:A4

    A1 - 84
    A2 - 50
    A3 - 62
    A4 - 46

    by using this formula in B1 =LOOKUP(A1,{0,50,56,61},{"D","C","B","A"}) and
    copying down to B4, you would get grades of

    B1 - A
    B2 - C
    B3 - B
    B4 - D

    numbers in the first brackets represents the starting number for a
    corresponding grade in the second bracket.... hence from 0 to 49 you get a
    grade of "D", from 50 to 55 you get "C", from 56 to 60 an "B" and from 61 on
    up an "A".

    Does that help?
    JG

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    UK
    Yes, thanks. I didn't realise it worked from the initial integer up to the next, clever.