"Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

  1. #1
    ECouwenberg
    Guest

    "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    Searching for a string in the "containing text" box I got "Search is compete.
    There are no results to display" while I know I stored excel files which are
    containing the text I am looking for. This problem doesnot apply for all
    stored excel files ! Who can help me with this problem ? Kind regards, Ed

  2. #2

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    Are you using the Search under File|Open?

    I've always had better luck with the Windows search (windows start
    button|search).

  3. #3
    ECouwenberg
    Guest

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    Thanks Dave,

    I am using the Windows search as well !
    Seems this search system is not 100% reliable, I checked with my collegues,
    they tested and they have the same problem.

    Brgds Ed

  4. #4

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    I've had better luck looking for strings (not numbers).

    Maybe it's time to try Google Desktop (or MSN desktop or ...).

  5. #5
    ECouwenberg
    Guest

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    I am using "control F" which is similar to Windows search. I am only looking
    for text strings in documents which I stored on our local LAN.

  6. #6

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    Flying Windows-F?

    I don't recall if you can point those indexers to UNC drives or even mapped
    drives. You may want to look into them.

  7. #7
    ECouwenberg
    Guest

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    thanks again but I am not sure what you mean. All the folders/documents have
    been moved already but the problem stayed. It makes no difference if the
    directories with folders and documents are on my harddisk or on the local
    LAN. The problem occurs only with some excel files (not all !), there is no
    problem for instance if it concerns Word documents.

  8. #8

    Re: "Search for files and folders" option doesnot work for 100%

    If Windows|Search doesn't work the way you want it, you'll have to find
    something else. My suggestion is to look at Google Desktop or MSN Desktop. But
    I'm not sure if they do remote drives.

    I know that I'm not smart enough to rewrite Windows|search to make it work all
    the time.