Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

  1. #1
    Forrest
    Guest

    Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    I need to group the data in a pivot table, why will it not allow me to?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    If the field in the source data contains blank cells, or cells with
    text, you won't be able to group the data. There are some suggestions
    here for fixing the problem:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Forrest
    Guest

    Re: Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    The tip did not help however, since you wrote the book, literally, let me
    explain what I need to do. I need to produce a series of charts that pivot
    between 5,7,9 and 11 columns of data, so the number of x axis values will
    change and the chart has to expand or shrink to fit the data. It cannot show
    blank values. I can accomplish this by turning off or on the data values,
    but they need to be pivoted by group not by indivudual column. Please help.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    Can you give an example of what you're trying to do, and the data you
    want to group?

  5. #5
    Forrest
    Guest

    Re: Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    Ok, I have produced a spreadsheet that calculates cuts for wood strips called
    "camber" for beam deflection during bridge construction. Camber strips are
    placed along the length of a beam and start at 5/8" at each end and can go as
    high as 6" in the center in a parbolic arc. Beam spans may be up to 90 feet
    long, but the individual pieces of wood can only be 10' long maximum and are
    cut in a straight line, so the intermediate cut heights are interpolated.
    The camber will be made of either 4 individual wood segments, 6 segments, 8
    segments or 10 segments, depending on the span length.

    column headings read as such (seperated by colon
    Group:HLA:cut1:cut2:cut3:cut4:cut5:cut6:cut7:cut8:cut9:cut10:cut11

    Data in the columns might read
    1:avg:5/8:3/4:1:3/4:5/8:0:0:0:0:0:0
    or possibly
    1:avg:5/8:7/8:1:1-1/2:2:1-1/2:1:7/8:5/8:0:0

    Don't worry about the group and HLA headings. However, the chart must show
    cuts 1-5 or cuts 1-7 or cuts 1-9 or cuts 1-11 and 4 charts cannot be shown
    simultaneously. The data cells will be filled based on the length of the
    span. the x axis will be plotted as the length of the pieces. I was able to
    accomplish this previously by overlaying 4 normal charts on top of each other
    but that has some problems. If I can use the pivot chart to switch between
    these groups of data it would be much cleaner.

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    Do you need a pivot table for this? Perhaps a dynamic chart would be
    better. Jon Peltier has some examples:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html

  7. #7
    Forrest
    Guest

    Re: Why does the pivot table not allow me to group data?

    I wasn't aware this option existed. It sounds like a good solution possibly.
    Thanks.