Counting data in rows.

  1. #1
    Moscow

    Smile Counting data in rows.

    Hello this is a formular that I have been trying to workout now for some time, what I have is a spread sheet (Which I will call "Database") with staff Name in colmn A, ID Numbers in colmn B and their attendance records from colmn C to colmn IV (last colmn) going across ways. Now what I would like to be able to do is have seperate page (which I will name "Database records") where I can record all monthly/yearly records so what I need is a formular to to match their ID on the sheet Database and then for example count across ways how many sick days (SC) they had in Jan 05. I am of cause not even too sure if this formular is even possible.

    Thankyou in advance if anyone can help me.

    Paul Maynard

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in rows.

    Assuming that row 1 has dates that can be test, this will get the total for
    whoever is in row 2. I would also insert a column in C for these totals

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($D1:$IV1)=8),--($D2:$IV2="SC"))

    Bob Phillips

    "paulrm906" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Moscow

    Thanks very much Bob

    The formular for me is not exactly what I was hoping for but the formular that you did give to me I have already put it to good use and it is also very good. This formular would be excellant if Microsoft Excel would allow a much larger number of colmns across, but I think we both now this will not happen in a very long time. But what I was really looking for was something simular too =INDEX('Staff Details'!$B$2:$P$323;MATCH($B$2;'Staff Details'!$C$2:$C$243;0);7) but rather then look up one colmn it could look up a range of colmns but it would have to match $B$2 (thier ID number).

    And thanks very much for your speady responce.

    Paul Maynard

    Moscow.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in rows.

    Actually, you are wrong. The next release of Office, Office 12, will have
    16K columns, as well as 1M+ rows.

  5. #5
    Moscow

    Smile Extra colmns in Excel

    Hello Bob

    If you are correct about the colmns and rows in the next release from Microsoft Office then that is great news and I can not wait to get an update version.

    Paul Maynard

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in rows.

    Hi Paul,

    It's all public information. You can read about it at
    http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2005/9/26.aspx

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Counting data in rows.

    "paulrm906" wrote:
    > .. But what I was really looking for was something similar to
    > =INDEX('Staff Details'!$B$2:$P$323;
    > MATCH($B$2;'Staff Details'!$C$2:$C$243;0);7) but
    > rather then look up one column it could look up a range of columns
    > but it would have to match $B$2 (their ID number) ..

    Inferring your set-up from your posted formula above,
    think we could try either of the formulas* below (normal ENTER):
    (lightly tested, both seems to work ok)

    =INDEX(OFFSET('Staff Details'!$A:$A,,
    MATCH($B2,'Staff Details'!$2:$2,0)-1),
    MATCH($B2,'Staff Details'!$C:$C,0))

    (above formula attempts to use "simpler" entire col/row references)

    =INDEX('Staff Details'!$C$2:$P$243,
    MATCH($B2,'Staff Details'!$C$2:$C$243,0),
    MATCH($B2,'Staff Details'!$C$2:$P$2,0))

    (above formula conforms closely to the ranges in your posted formula, except
    that I've adjusted the row ref in the indexed range: 'Staff
    Details'!$C$2:$P$243, to sync with the "243" limit for the row match: 'Staff
    Details'!$C$2:$C$243. We could have it the other way round, of course.)

    *You'd need to change the commas to semicolons
    in the formulas above to suit your continental Excel version
    --
    Max
    Singapore