cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

  1. #1
    Jay
    Guest

    cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get a range of cells, in fact a column of cells, to be
    formatted with a tick if the value contained within is Y. Unfortunately I
    can't change the value to 0 or 1 and use simple custom formats as the the
    information comes in from an xml file. This is further compounded by the
    fact that I have some validation routines to check what has changed on a
    reload of a similar xml file.

    Hence, I need to find a way of formatting a cell so that it displays a tick
    or nothing whilst maintaining the underlying string value Y or N. It seems
    that I might have to write a function to interpret Y/N to 1 and 0 in any
    case, followed by a custom format on the cells to display the appropriate
    tick string. I'd rather not do this as I know it will give me a serious
    performance hit on the xml upload routines.

    I'm wondering if there is anyone there who can help me round this one.

    Regards

    Jason

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    How about just using Conditional Formatting to put a cross-hatch pattern
    behind the Y, or put a colored border around the cell, etc?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3

    Re: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    Can you use another cell?

    =if(a2="y",char(252),"")
    format it with a Wingdings font.

  4. #4
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the response, I actually stangle my application if I go for that
    approach. The scripts I've written are all based on re-usable code that
    allows me to reformat the workbook to parent header info in the style of a
    form with lists of children and their properties. To add a further level of
    complexity I then generate a dynamic matrix of grandchild items next to the
    list. All of this is completely dynamic and I end up with a different no of
    worksheets based on the number of objects in my xml file. The formatting is
    all managed through a series of lookups and global parameters so I'd be
    adding quite a bit of complexity going this way. So, although I looked at
    that approach it doesn't really get me where I want to be.

    About my best approach at the moment is to write a small inbound parser
    function that turns my Ns into -1 and my Ys into 1. I can then set the font
    to "a";""; Marlett where a = "Tick" and I have the desired result, although
    I'm holding off doing this for performance reasons at the moment.

    I'm really curious to know if it can be done without changing and recasting
    my values, let me know if you have any other ideas

    Best Regards

    Jason Peel

  5. #5
    Jay
    Guest

    RE: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    Hi Vaya,

    Thanks for the response, I looked at this route, but the tick is the
    desirable target. I'm really curious to know if it can be done at this
    stage. Take a look at my response to Dave Paterson for my nearest solution.

    Best Regards

    Jason Peel

  6. #6

    Re: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    If the choice were between empty and a "Y", then I think you could use a number
    format.

    But I don't know a way of keeping the value (Y/N) and showing the tickmark.

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    Agreed............I was toying with a small drawing object in each cell, but
    ran in to the same problem.............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  8. #8
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: cells formatted to tick when text value "Y" if or null if "N"

    Thanks Guys,

    I'm pretty happy that there's no obvious/simple way to do this without
    changing the data which is actually what I needed to know (I can sleep well,
    as it were).

    Again, thanks for the input,

    Jason Peel