typing fractions

  1. #1
    suzijames
    Guest

    typing fractions

    I want to create math review for my students using the 'old fashioned'
    fraction format which I will describe as an 'over under' fraction. For 5/8,
    the 5 as the numerator (top) followed by a hortizontal line with the 8
    appearing beneath the line.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Brad
    Guest

    RE: typing fractions

    Type
    0 7/8
    But the information is stored as decimal

  3. #3
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: typing fractions

    I suggest getting rid of the gridlines ...Tools/Options/View uncheck
    Gridlines, that way your fractions will look much better. Then you can type 5
    in cell and 8 in the cell below and put a horizontal line in between by using
    one of the preset borders. Then adjust the column width until you get the
    desired look.

    HTH
    JG

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: typing fractions

    suzi

    MS Reference Specialty Font has some fractions like 5/8 with the 5 over the 8

    Go to Start>Run "charmap.exe" to see what's available

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP