Inserting alternate blank rows in Excel

  1. #1
    KopRed
    Guest

    Inserting alternate blank rows in Excel

    I have several spreadsheets with between 2,000 and 3,000 rows of data. I'm
    using them to import data into some accounting software. The format required
    by the software is that each row of data is separated by a blank row. Short
    of individually inserting several thousand rows, does anyone know another way
    of changing the layout of the spreadsheet?

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Inserting alternate blank rows in Excel

    Well, you could add a helper column and enter 1, 3, 5, and copy down to
    the bottom of what you've got. You could then put 2,4,6,8 ... in blank rows
    until you have the max # of what you need. Then sort by the helper column.
    Make sure you save a pristine copy and operate on a secondary copy so you
    don't damage your good file.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Erin Searfoss
    Guest

    RE: Inserting alternate blank rows in Excel

    Here is a macro you can use. It's loosly written so it may take a minute to
    run if the file is large.
    Copy the code into a module in the Visual Basic Editor (Alt F11 to open
    VBE). Then the macro InsertRows will be available when you select Tools,
    Macro, Macros (or Alt F8).

    Sub InsertRows()

    intRow = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
    For i = intRow To 1 Step -1
    Rows(i).EntireRow.Insert
    Next i

    End Sub