selecting different cell ranges across sheets, to display on summary page

  1. #1
    NetMax
    Guest

    selecting different cell ranges across sheets, to display on summary page

    Each workbook sheet has payroll records per individual for the entire
    year (regular hours, overtime, holiday etc).

    I want a summary sheet to display the relevant data (ie: sums of regular
    hours, sick days etc) of the payperiod entered (1 of 26) for each
    employee.

    So the clerk (me) enters a payroll period, and sees that data for each
    employee.

    Seems simply enough, and there is probably more than one way to do it,
    but the help files have only frustrated me so far.

    TIA
    --
    NetMax

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: selecting different cell ranges across sheets, to display on summary page

    Best way would be to sum them in a nominated cell on each worksheet, lets
    say B2, B3, etc and then sum them like

    =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet26!B2)

    etc.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    NetMax
    Guest

    Re: selecting different cell ranges across sheets, to display on summary page

    Don't think that will do it. Somewhere on the summary sheet, I want to
    enter a number (corresponding to the payroll period I want the data called
    up from). Then all the employee data displayed would be called up from only
    a certain location on their individual sheets.

    Essentially, regular hours for employee X would be ='empX'!(find payroll
    period to direct which cell to copy data from)
    then I repeat this for their sick days, holiday etc. Then I repeat the
    whole thing per employee.

    I need a variable in the equals statement to copy from different cell
    addresses.
    --
    NetMax

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: selecting different cell ranges across sheets, to display on summary page

    Couldn't the summing formula on each sheet pick up that variable period on
    the summary sheet?

  5. #5
    NetMax
    Guest

    Re: selecting different cell ranges across sheets, to display on summary page

    The challenge was making the variable period selectable. I found HLOOKUP &
    VLOOKUP solved my problem. Thanks anyways for your help Bob!
    regards
    --
    NetMax