Remove varying amounts of space characters

  1. #1
    Access Joe
    Guest

    Remove varying amounts of space characters

    Hi all,

    I'm hoping someone out there can help. I've been working with this Excel
    file that I believe was imported from an external app. Column A has a bunch
    of data along with a whole slew of empty cells. Problem is, they are not
    empty. I copied and pasted the column into Word so I could see the invisible
    characters, and low and behold, they were many. Some cells had space & tab
    characters after existing text, others had space characters in the blank
    cells. Additionally, the spaces were not all equal. Sometimes it was 15
    spaces, sometimes 8, etc. I need to physically remove all these invisible
    characters so sorting & filtering will work the way it's supposed to.

    Reading through the available threads, I couldn't find anything for my
    situation. I tried FInd/Replace/ALT 0160 and that didn't work because it
    only accounts for one single space. Can't use TRIM since the spaces are
    varying in lengths. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Joe

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Try the "CLEAN" Function - it will remove all "NON-PRINTING" characters, (i.e. tabs, spaces, etc.).

  3. #3
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Remove varying amounts of space characters

    CLEAN doesn't remove spaces so you will also have to use TRIM which
    removes all spaces except for single spaces that are between other
    characters.
    Ken Johnson

  4. #4
    Access Joe
    Guest

    Re: Remove varying amounts of space characters

    Thank you Ken. This works great

  5. #5
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Remove varying amounts of space characters

    Hi Joe,
    Great!
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Ken Johnson