sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 2003

  1. #1
    crzyg8r
    Guest

    sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 2003

    I am a pretty competent user of Excel, but on some occassions, a simple
    formula like SUM will not work. Whether doing it using the Sum (Sigma) icon
    or creating the formula in the formula bar (ex. =A12+A13) it is not working.
    I have tried clearing and deleting the cells and recreating them, it doesn't
    matter. If I redo the formula with the actual number values in each cell it
    will work but it is as if it isn't reading the values in the cells properly.
    I have tried looking at the cell properties and can not find anything
    obvious. Please help. Thank you. - CG

  2. #2
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 2003

    It might be a rounding error problem. If you have 1.4 in both A12 and
    A13 but these are formatted as number with 0 decimal places, they will
    both show as 1, but the answer to the formula will show as 3.

    Pete

  3. #3
    crzyg8r
    Guest

    Re: sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 200

    Pete,

    By the way one other thing I should have mentioned is that I did check and
    verify the the Tools-Options-Calculations is set to automatic as I noticed
    that advice on several other related posts.

    CG

  4. #4
    crzyg8r
    Guest

    Re: sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 200

    Pete,

    That is not the case, I have 6535 in one cell, trying to add it to (3700)
    and it is coming up with zero...I have also tried moving other cells and
    doing the same thing and have come up with other incorrect answers. I have
    also tried putting the following:
    A12+A13
    A12-A13
    A12+(A13)
    and A12-(-A13)
    None of these have produced the correct answer of 2835 which I could easily
    do by hand, but I am trying to do a 5 year business p&l build out and that
    will take forever and lead to issues if I can not get a simple formula like
    SUM to work in this worksheet.

    Also in the short time it took you to respond (which thank you so much for
    the incredibly quick response) I tried duing the Error Check tool and now
    every formula in the spread sheet is showing the formula and not the value
    and I have looked around and can not figure out how to change it back to
    normal. If you could advise on that as well it would be appreciated.

    CG

  5. #5
    pinmaster
    Guest

    Re: sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 200

    Hi,
    I was able to recreate your problem by going to Tools/Options/Transition and
    putting a check mark in "Transition Formula Evaluation".

    Not sure what it does tho.

    HTH
    JG

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 200

    Hi!

    Use the key combo of CTRL ` to toggle between formula view and normal view
    or goto Tools>Options>View>Formulas.

    Your problem might be that some of your values have been formatted as TEXT.

    A1 = 6535
    A2 = 3700

    =SUM(A1:A2)

    If that formula returns 0 then the values are TEXT

    Try this:

    Select an empty cell and make sure that it's formatted as GENERAL

    Copy that empty cell
    Select the cells that contain your number values
    Goto Edit>Paste Special>Add>OK

    That will "force" the values to convert to a GENERAL format.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ontario, Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Windows 10

    Re: sum formula not working, producing incorrect answers Excel 2003

    I was able to correct my formula by checking for any circular reference. It happened that one of my manual subtotal has circular reference/incorrect formula that's why the other total was not working.