edit a record like 17.00 gbp so it becomes 17.00 using a formula

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    edit a record like 17.00 gbp so it becomes 17.00 using a formula

    I have cut and paste a lot of data from a web site, but it all has 'gbp'
    after each amount i.e. 17.00 gbp. I need to get rid of the gbp so I can do a
    SUM calculation. I hope someone can help.

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: edit a record like 17.00 gbp so it becomes 17.00 using a formula

    You could try find and replace. Start by selecting your data then go to
    Edit/Replace:

    find what: gbp
    replace with: ...leave blank
    hit Replace All

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: edit a record like 17.00 gbp so it becomes 17.00 using a formula

    Hi John,
    assuming your first one is in A2, =VALUE(LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-4)) in row 2
    of any other column could be filled down to produce a column of number
    values.
    I'm also assuming that it is a single space between the number and the
    g.

    Ken Johnson