want to download csv file from website and need to open in Excel.

  1. #1
    Jeff
    Guest

    want to download csv file from website and need to open in Excel.

    currently the file is opening in html, then i save it as a text file, then
    manually open Excel and finally open the text file and then the file opens
    in csv format. this used to happen behind the scenes then I received a new
    computer. i am sure there must be a switch that needs to be toggled but at am
    at a loss as to what that swithc might be. any ideas?

  2. #2
    JohnCub
    Guest

    RE: want to download csv file from website and need to open in Excel.

    from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q162059/
    1. Open My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu (or the View menu), click Folder Options (or click
    Options).
    3. Click the File Types tab.
    4. In the Registered file types list, click the specific Office document
    type (for example, Microsoft Excel Worksheet), and then click Advanced (or
    click Edit).
    5. In the Edit File Type dialog box, click to clear the Browse in same
    window check box (or click to clear the Open Web documents in place check
    box).
    6. Click OK.

  3. #3
    Jeff
    Guest

    RE: want to download csv file from website and need to open in Exc

    all boxes in the "Edit File Type dialog box" have not been checked.
    Java has a role in the scenerio but I am not sure to what extent. when I
    save the desired file as a .txt file and then open it from within Excel, the
    CSV wizard opens and performs flawlessly, so maybe this is really a Java
    issue??