Sorting into categories

  1. #1
    AHSinVT
    Guest

    Sorting into categories

    How do you sort items (like a mail list) into categories when some of the
    items (but not all of them) are in more than one category? E.g., some rout
    for the Red Sox, some drink beer, and some eat pretzels--and some do all of
    these, but some do none. How do I enter the data and then creat a list that
    includes only the pretzel-eaters?

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Sorting into categories

    I would make a column for each criteria, with the person's name in column A.
    Then just put Xs or something in the columns that apply.
    Want to see only pretzel eaters?
    Use Autofilter:
    ************
    Hope it helps!
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    AHSinVT
    Guest

    Re: Sorting into categories

    Thanks, Anne. Your suggestion will work. Since I have a lot of categories,
    though, it would be easier if I could assign a numeral to each one, and then
    enter the category numeral(s) in just ONE column. So in the 'categories'
    column, some people would have one numeral and some would have several. Is
    there a way to make the filter read every entry that has a particular numeral
    in it (e.g., 12, 13, 143, 1, etc)? I know Word well but am a newbie to Excel.