Matrix formatting

  1. #1
    Corey
    Guest

    Matrix formatting

    I have a matrix similar to below. I'd like for those amounts that agree to be
    shaded and those that do not, to not be shaded. For example, everything in
    the table would be shaded except for b:c / c:b. Any suggestions?

    X A B C
    A 0 2 1
    B 2 0 2
    C 1 3 0

  2. #2

    Re: Matrix formatting

    Select your range (say A1:D4)
    and with A1 the activecell
    format|conditional formatting
    formula is:
    =COUNTIF($A$1:$D$4,A1)>1

    And give it a nice pattern.

  3. #3
    Corey
    Guest

    Re: Matrix formatting

    This kind of works for the most part. It seems to search for any match, not
    the ones at the corresponding vector points. For instance, the formula also
    highlights the 2 in the third column. ??

  4. #4

    Re: Matrix formatting

    The 2 in the third column matched the 2 elsewhere.

    I guess I didn't understand the question.

  5. #5
    Corey
    Guest

    Re: Matrix formatting

    The matrix reads as a relationship to corresponding criteria.

    Does row C, column B = column B, row C (inverse of each other)

    Only two intersections are being compared here. I'm thinking it might have
    to be done manually.

  6. #6

    Re: Matrix formatting

    Maybe you could use =index() and invert the columns and rows.

    But I think you'd have to specify more info--well at least for me to attempt it.

    The address the table is located and a few examples of which cells to check.

  7. #7
    Herbert Seidenberg
    Guest

    Re: Matrix formatting

    Assuming your matrix at A1 is named array1
    =INDEX(array1,ROW(),COLUMN())=INDEX(array1,COLUMN(),ROW())

  8. #8
    Corey
    Guest

    Re: Matrix formatting

    I'm not sure I understand. I went ahead and name A1 to 'array1'. I then put
    your formula in the conditional formatting step. Nothing happened. ??

  9. #9
    Herbert Seidenberg
    Guest

    Re: Matrix formatting

    Move the matrix so A1 is the upper left cell of the matrix.
    Then select all the cells in the matrix and name the matrix array1.
    Use Insert > Name > Define
    or don't use a name and say $A$1:$D$4 instead.
    If your matrix is located anyplace else on the spreadsheet, use
    =INDEX(array1,ROW()-ROW(array1)+1,COLUMN()-COLUMN(array1)+1)=
    INDEX(array1,COLUMN()-COLUMN(array1)+1,ROW()-ROW(array1)+1)

  10. #10
    Corey
    Guest

    Re: Matrix formatting