Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two colums

  1. #1

    Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two colums

    Hello all.

    I've been tasked to make some modifications to an Excel spreadsheet that was developed by another individual. The sheet has got a thin line that separates two columns I would like to get rid of. In this sheet the gridlines are turned off. I'm working in Excel 2003.

    Things I've tried:
    1. Cleared borders using the border tool.
    2. Erased borders using the eraser in the "drawn borders" tool.
    3. Tried drawing a "no border" with the "drawn borders" tool.
    4. I've tried copying cells that do not have a line like this and pasteing them in these cells.
    5. I've tried poking around with the drawing toolbar to see if there is a drawing line that was insert.
    6. I've unhid columns to make sure there wasn't another column there I wasn't seeing.

    There has to be another way to create horizontal lines I'm not thinking of. I would appreciate any ideas on other things I can try to eliminate this.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Pierre
    Guest

    Re: Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two colums

    craig-o wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I've been tasked to make some modifications to an Excel spreadsheet
    > that was developed by another individual. The sheet has got a thin
    > line that separates two columns I would like to get rid of. In this
    > sheet the gridlines are turned off. I'm working in Excel 2003.
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > 1. Cleared borders using the border tool.
    > 2. Erased borders using the eraser in the "drawn borders" tool.
    > 3. Tried drawing a "no border" with the "drawn borders" tool.
    > 4. I've tried copying cells that do not have a line like this and
    > pasteing them in these cells.
    > 5. I've tried poking around with the drawing toolbar to see if there is
    > a drawing line that was insert.
    > 6. I've unhid columns to make sure there wasn't another column there I
    > wasn't seeing.
    >
    > There has to be another way to create horizontal lines I'm not thinking
    > of. I would appreciate any ideas on other things I can try to eliminate
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > --
    > craig-o

    Try selecting the entire area around the cells with the line.
    Edit
    Clear
    Formats, or all.
    (If you chose "All"; you might have to reformat the data within the
    cells you just deleted the line in).

    Pierre

  3. #3
    Thanks for the response Pierre. Just tried your suggestion, but it did not work either.

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two col

    Another thing to try is to make sure the lines (either horizontal or
    vertical) are not resulting from using a print preview view. This view will
    show lines (that aren't really there) to demarcate print boundries.
    --
    Gary's Student

  5. #5
    Linda
    Guest

    Re: Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two col

    Hi craig-o,

    I would imagine it is the result of either split or more than likely frozen
    panes. Use the window pull-down menu and if either are in use...your option
    will be Remove split or Unfreeze Panes. These are both a toggle on/off
    option.

    Hope this is the cure!
    Thanks.

    --
    Linda

  6. #6
    Pierre

    craig-o wrote:
    > Thanks for the response Pierre. Just tried your suggestion, but it did
    > not work either.
    >

    > --
    > craig-o
    > craig-o's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27588
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503062

    The only other thing that comes to mind, is some wayward VBS code.
    Have a look see by right clicking the sheet tab, and selecting view
    code. Clear anything that might resemble a formatting section. (Copy
    your work before clearing anything there.)

    Pierre

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Probably stupid, but I can't get rid of a line between two colums

    Craig

    Sounds like you have Window>Frezze Panes enabled.

    Uncheck it and see what happens to the line.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    Unfreeze pane worked! I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I'm glad you all did. I can't imagine why there would be a need to freeze panes at this point in the sheet, but who knows.

    Thanks all!