Networkday Calendar

  1. #1
    rac
    Guest

    Networkday Calendar

    I'm trying to create calendar with just networkdays minus Holidays.
    I copied this function from Chip Pearson's web site (Thanks Chip).
    =IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A4+1)=1,WEEKDAY(A4+1)=7),A4+3,A4+1)
    It works great but, I would like to exclude a list of holidays. I have
    the holidays in a range named "holidays". Any ideas on how to do this?

    rac

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    I'd never seen that formula before so I looked it up on Chip's website to check and it is as you say it is.

    I think it works fine until you put a Saturday in A4 in which case the date it returns is a Tuesday! Perhaps I'll take it up with Chip!

    I prefer this

    =A4+IF(WEEKDAY(A4)<6,1,9-WEEKDAY(A4))

    ...but that still doesn't address your question about holidays....

    The simple way to do what you ask is to use the WORKDAY function available with Analysis ToolPak add-in, the formula would be

    =WORKDAY(A4,1,holidays)

    If you don't have Analysis ToolPak installed or you don't want to use it then this slightly more complex formula will work, assuming you never have more than 5 consecutive holiday days

    =MIN(IF((WEEKDAY(A4+ROW($1:$10),2)<6)*ISNA(MATCH(A4+ROW($1:$10),holidays,0)),A4+ROW($1:$10)))

    confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
    Last edited by daddylonglegs; 01-21-2006 at 09:15 PM.

  3. #3
    rac
    Guest

    Re: Networkday Calendar

    daddylonglegs wrote:
    > I'd never seen that formula before so I looked it up on Chip's website
    > to check and it is as you say it is.
    >
    > I think it works fine until you put a Saturday in A4 in which case the
    > next date it shows is a Tuesday! Perhaps I'll take it up with Chip!
    >
    > I prefer this
    >
    > =A4+IF(WEEKDAY(A4)<6,1,9-WEEKDAY(A4))
    >
    > ..but that still doesn't address your question about holidays....
    >
    > The simple way to do what you ask is to use the WORKDAY function
    > available with Analysis ToolPak add-in, the formula would be
    >
    > =WORKDAY(A4,1,holidays)
    >
    > If you don't have Analysis ToolPak installed or you don't want to use
    > it then this slightly more complex formula will work, assuming you
    > never have more than 5 consecutive holiday days
    >
    > =MIN(IF(WEEKDAY(A4+ROW($1:$10),2)<6,IF(ISNA(MATCH(A4+ROW($1:$10),holidays,0)),A4+ROW($1:$10))))
    >
    > confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

    That worked great. It seamed so simple. Thanks for the reply.

    rac