Qty x cost from 1 colume

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    rbell
    Guest

    Qty x cost from 1 colume

    I have a workbook that has a list of part numbers & Qtys. It looks up
    the cost from 3 different Mfg product line lists and returns the cost
    in 3 different columes. Now I need to multiply the Qty. x the cost but
    I only want it done for 1 colume. Some of the pn's are in 1,2, or 3 of
    the columes. I use IF(ISNA) to put 0's in when it's not on one of the
    lists. Some Pn's are used in 1 or more lines & some are not. So far
    I've not come up with a good formula. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

    PN qty cost1 cost2 cost3 total cost
    111 2 1.00 0 0
    222 1 0 1.00 0
    333 3 1.00 1.00 0
    444 2 1.00 1.00 1.00

    --
    rbell

  2. #2

    Re: Qty x cost from 1 colume

    I'm not sure how you get the total cost using just one field if the costs could
    vary (not counting 0)....

    But maybe:

    =b2*max(c2:e2)

    Where B held the Qty and C:E held the individual costs.

    I'm not sure if it's worth it, but you may want to make one Cost column and then
    use an indicator for each line:

    pn qty Cost Line1 line2 line3 totalcost
    111 2 1.0 Y N N 2.00

    Well, it kind of makes sense to me--but that's from someone who has no idea what
    you're doing <vbg>.

  3. #3
    rbell
    Guest

    Re: Qty x cost from 1 colume

    Hi Dave Your suggestion seems to work. I was trying to make it too
    complicated.
    Here is a little better explanation of what I'm doing. The inventory
    contains part numbers in A & Qty's in B. There are about 1100 pn's. I
    then use this formula
    =IF(ISNA(INDEX(Sheet1!G:G,MATCH(A2,Sheet1!A:A,0))),0,INDEX(Sheet1!G:G,MATCH(A2,Sheet1!A:A,0)))
    to search a master list for each product line (about 38000 pn's) for the
    cost. A=PN & G=cost. I do this once for each product line which gives me
    3 columns of cost's. The IF(ISNA) puts 0 in if it's not on a particular
    PL list. Some parts are unique to a Pl and some are used in more than
    1, like hardware etc. So the cost can be in more than 1 column. Also I
    can only get the master lists in Excell from the Mfg. by PL. The cost
    will be the same if used on more than 1 PL. I then used your formula to
    get a total value of each PN. Then I SUM that column for the whole
    inventory. This seems to be correct although I've only check a few.
    Thanks again **** Bell

    --
    rbell