3 criteria must exist in adjoining cells then rtn val from 4th

  1. #1
    SteveH
    Guest

    3 criteria must exist in adjoining cells then rtn val from 4th

    i need to drop data into a spreadsheet, from this data I wish to
    automatically extract from this spreasheet and populate into another
    spreadsheet values, the data will in succesive columns (clm) have, in the 1st
    clm the customer identity, could be numeric say 350, alphanumeric say col001
    or just alpha say roy; 2nd clm will have a four digit No., the 3rd clm a six
    digit No., being a date. The first column against any customer I.D. can have
    a combination of these four digit numbers and dates. I wish then to have in
    place in my target cell specific individual formulas that will identify and
    require three adjoining cells on the same row to match the criteria in that
    cell, i.e. say col001 and say 0291 and say 200512,if these exist then return
    the value in the same row from the 4th clm; if not enter zero.Thanks for any
    HELP

  2. #2

    Re: 3 criteria must exist in adjoining cells then rtn val from 4th

    I'm not sure, but it sounds like =vlookup() or a variation of that should work.

    You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
    and
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

  3. #3
    SteveH
    Guest

    Re: 3 criteria must exist in adjoining cells then rtn val from 4th

    Dave

    I have decided to allocate the customer name with a number, then add the
    three columns together, then within the target cells a specific formula will
    look for that number via a lookup to return the fourth column.

    Thank you for your response