Want to paste ASCII, not "formatted"

  1. #1
    Los Angeles, California

    Want to paste ASCII, not "formatted"

    If I paste text directly into a cell, Excel formats the text to look like the original. If I paste the text into the formula bar, the text in the cell is ASCII. Is there a way to paste directly into the cell, but not have Excel "auto-format"?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    -KH
    Los Angeles, California

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Want to paste ASCII, not "formatted"

    Hi

    PasteSpecial>Values

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<at>tarkon.ee )

    "KHashmi316" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Los Angeles, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvi Laanemets

    PasteSpecial>Values
    Hi, Avi:

    Can this be set globally somehow (i.e. for all Excel projects)? I didn't see an option in Tools>Options>Edit.

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Want to paste ASCII, not "formatted"

    Hi

    Instead of workbooks module, save the code in Personal Macro Workbook
    (Personal.xls) module.

    When you don't have Personal.xls jet, then easier way to create it at right
    place is to record a macro to it (Tools>Macro>Record New Macro, select
    'Store macro in' = 'Personal Macro Workbook' and press OK. Stop recordig.)
    Now press Alt+F11, in VBA Project window activate the module of
    Personal.xls, delete the lately created dummy macro, and copy the UDF code
    into this module. From now on, this UDF is avaiable for all workbooks opened
    in this computer.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Want to paste ASCII, not "formatted"

    Hi KHashmi316, (a real name is preferred in Excel newsgroups)
    I don't see how the first answer Paste Special was not considered
    globally available. Anyway a macro was provided with suggestions
    of where to put it. But I think there is a better more general purpose answer
    that you could use across all Windows applications (on a PC anyway).

    You can install Pure Text then you will have a button on your
    system task bar. Copy text from anywhere, use the PureText (PT)
    button and the data in the clipboard is text retaining LF (line feed).

    PureText,2.0, Steve P.Miller, paste copied text as simple text into
    another application without getting all the formatting from the original source
    http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/
    download: PureText 2.0 for Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 [13k]

    Since you are posting to newsgroups, you should learn to use newsgroups
    as newsgroups rather than using a web site that messes up web page
    searching. I would certainly discourage the use of posting to newsgroups
    via Forums. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm#forums

    ---
    HTH,

  6. #6
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Want to paste ASCII, not "formatted"

    Sorry! This reply was meant to another thread at all :-((
    news:[email protected]...