Date formatting

  1. #1

    Date formatting

    I have a cell which contains a date in the form dd.mm.yyyy e.g 27.01.2005, however it does seem to be formatted properly. I have a lot of this data, how can I get excel to recognise it as a date and allow me to alter the date format etc which I cannot do at the moment.

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Date formatting

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 04:24:43 -0600, Turnipboy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a cell which contains a date in the form dd.mm.yyyy e.g
    >27.01.2005, however it does seem to be formatted properly. I have a lot
    >of this data, how can I get excel to recognise it as a date and allow me
    >to alter the date format etc which I cannot do at the moment.

    Assuming you cannot format it now, it is probably text.

    First backup your data.

    If your data is in column A, in an adjacent column, enter the formula:

    =DATE(RIGHT(A1,4),MID(A1,4,2),LEFT(A1,2))

    Copy/Drag down as far as needed.

    Select this new column
    Edit/Copy
    Select A1
    Edit/Paste Special Values

    --ron

  3. #3
    Thanks, it did the trick.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Date formatting

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:13:29 -0600, Turnipboy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks, it did the trick.

    Glad to help.
    --ron