Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

  1. #1
    Irene Pai
    Guest

    Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

    Hello,
    About a week ago I suddenly started having the problem where pressing the
    <ALT> <E> keys does not automatically drop down the Excel Edit menu. The
    Edit menu item is highlighted, but unless I use my mouse or hit the "Down"
    key, I cannot enter any keyboard shortcuts referred to on the Edit menu. This
    happens only on the Edit menu. For all other menus, File, Tools, Data, etc.
    the <ALT>key followed by <F>,<T>, or <D>, respectively, continues to pull
    down the bar for the
    menu item. Note: the same problems exists if I use </><F> vs </></E>. The
    front slash E doesn't drop down while the front slash F does drop down.

    Appreciate any suggestions, as this is extremely frustrating! Below is the
    version I'm on and what I've tried. Thanks!!

    VERSION:
    I am on MS Excel 2003 and have been using it without issue for 1+ years.

    WHAT I HAVE TRIED (without success):
    (1) uninstalling Excel and reinstalling
    (2) deleting book.xlt
    (3) repairing Excel
    (4) various transition key settings under Tools/Options
    (5) Resetting menu and toolbar usage data (which is really irrelevant anyway).

  2. #2
    PancakeBatter
    Guest

    RE: Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

    Hi Irene-

    Is the "E" in Edit underlined in the Menu Bar? This is an option.

    Right click on the Menu Bar, left click on Customize at the bottom of the
    context menu. Right click on the "Edit" on Menu Bar. Look at field "Name".
    It should read "&Edit".

    Hope this helps.

    PB

  3. #3
    Irene Pai
    Guest

    RE: Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

    Hi PB,
    Yes, the E is underlined (which is why the menu item gets highlighted when I
    type in Alt-E). It's just the menu won't auto drop down.

    Thanks, though...

  4. #4
    PancakeBatter
    Guest

    RE: Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

    Bummer. How about deleting "Edit" menu and rebuilding it?

  5. #5
    Irene Pai
    Guest

    RE: Edit Menu will not automatically drop down anymore

    I didn't try rebuilding the menu, as it seemed like a lot of work for
    delivered functionality. Thanks, though! 8->

    However, the good news is, I was able to fix it by deleting my Excel.xlb
    file! This file stores all your personal configurations, so that did it!