Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

  1. #1
    CJ
    Guest

    Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

    I'm entering an amount into a cell, but the screen shows a number altogether
    different from what I type.

    I checked the format of the cell. I couldn't see anything wrong.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

    Maybe a stupid question, but...
    What did you type and what did you see? And how was the cell formatted?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor EdMac's Avatar
    Exeter, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    1,264
    If you tell us what you type and what you get it would help

    Ed

  4. #4
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    Re: Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

    Amount, hmm..., numbers?
    Format>Cells>Numbers>Decimal places maybe
    perhaps you typed in 0.899756 and are getting 1 because you have 0 or too
    few decimal places formatted....????

  5. #5
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

    Can't say for sure without an example, but try these two solutions.

    I. Under Tools->Options->Edit Tab
    Make sure the "Fixed Decimal" is unchecked. This will change 260 to 2.6 and
    2620 to 26.2.

    II. Check the formatting. You might have a strange custom number format like
    1234
    this will make any number entered show up as 1234 instead of the number.
    Change it to General or Number or something more appropriate.