3-d referencing inconsistent

  1. #1

    3-d referencing inconsistent

    All i want to do is to call up simple text fields from 1 worksheet to another using the simple formula

    =Sheet1!A2

    for example however i have found that sometimes this works sometimes it doesnt. i cannot see that i am doing anything different when it doesnt work, to what i input when it does work. does my excel copy being buggy or is there some rule regarding the use of this formula that i am unaware of

    please help

    thanks
    dunc

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: 3-d referencing inconsistent

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:10:45 -0600, duncan79
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All i want to do is to call up simple text fields from 1 worksheet to
    >another using the simple formula
    >
    >=Sheet1!A2
    >
    >for example however i have found that sometimes this works sometimes it
    >doesnt. i cannot see that i am doing anything different when it doesnt
    >work, to what i input when it does work. does my excel copy being buggy
    >or is there some rule regarding the use of this formula that i am
    >unaware of
    >
    >please help
    >
    >thanks
    >dunc

    You'll need to be more specific when you write "doesn't work".

    What does the formula you gave return when it "doesn't work"?

    What is the contents of Sheet1!A2

    --ron

  3. #3
    Yeah sorry

    Sheet1 Has been named Contacts and is being used as a database of contacts so i want to pull the names out to use in other spreadsheets

    when i type =Contacts!F3 (for example) either manually entered or by clicking to the relevant cell it sometimes pulls the name into the other spreadsheet and sometimes it simply displays =Contacts!F3 as if the entry were not a reference but an entry in its own right.

    i dont think i'm missing anything obvious

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: 3-d referencing inconsistent

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:46:04 -0600, duncan79
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yeah sorry
    >
    >Sheet1 Has been named Contacts and is being used as a database of
    >contacts so i want to pull the names out to use in other spreadsheets
    >
    >when i type =Contacts!F3 (for example) either manually entered or by
    >clicking to the relevant cell it sometimes pulls the name into the
    >other spreadsheet and sometimes it simply displays =Contacts!F3 as if
    >the entry were not a reference but an entry in its own right.
    >
    >i dont think i'm missing anything obvious

    Either the cell into which you type =Contacts!F3 was pre-formatted as TEXT, or
    you are inadvertently adding a character which is causing Excel to interpret
    the string as TEXT. A leading <space> or <'> will do that.

    --ron

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    It was the pre-formatting, thanks for your help I'm pretty new to this. Much appreciated

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: 3-d referencing inconsistent

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:22:23 -0600, duncan79
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It was the pre-formatting, thanks for your help I'm pretty new to this.
    >Much appreciated

    Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.
    --ron