Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

  1. #1
    Paul Bond
    Guest

    Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    I have information held in a separate worksheet and the name of the worksheet
    is changing constantly. Within a cell on my current worksheet I have the
    file details of where the information I require is to be obtained. I want to
    create a formula that takes the file details from the cell above and adds it
    to the formula so it knows where to find the information i require

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Hi Paul
    You want to use the INDIRECT Worksheet Function
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Do you mean that the worksheet (tab) name is constantly changing, or
    that the workbook (file) name is changing? If the sheet name is being
    changed, you can overcome this by using a named range for the
    information. If the filename is being changed, then the cell in your
    current worksheet that holds this will need to change also.

    You are a bit vague in describing the "information" you require. Is
    this a single cell whose value you want to return, or could it be a
    table that you want a lookup formula to access? You can refer to a
    location in another file by means of:

    [filename.xls]sheet_name!cell_reference

    but depending on how you want to access this you will probably also
    need to make use of the INDIRECT( ) function.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Paul Bond
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    The contents of a cell in my spreadsheet contains a file and worksheet
    reference eg
    [china garden week 74.xls]Sheet1!$D$15
    The contents of this cell is updated by a formula each time the week number
    changes. Therefore the number "74" is always changing

    I want to enter a formula to return the value in the worksheet cell stated
    above without having to amend the formula each time the filename changes.

    I hope this makes more sense. Thanks for your help

  5. #5
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Ok, thanks for coming back with more detail. As you have spaces in your
    filename, you will need to wrap apostrophes around this and the sheet
    name so that you have:

    '[china garden week 74.xls]Sheet1'!$D$15

    Is this something your formula in this cell can (be amended to) do? If
    so, and assuming the formula is in cell A1, then you could enter this
    formula in the cell where you want the extracted data to appear:

    =INDIRECT(A1)

    Be warned, however, that INDIRECT( ) cannot get data from a file which
    is not open.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  6. #6
    Paul Bond
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Thanks Pete. The next problem will be that none of the files that I want to
    link to will be open. Is there anyway around this?

  7. #7

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Hoping this is not too off-subject, but I'm having a problem with a
    similar formula. I've created the formula by using concatenate to
    create the reference to a cell in another spreadsheet, and then copied
    and Paste/Special/Values the result of the Concatenate. I end up with
    what I want, a formula such as ='c:\[385.xls]sheet1'!$l$4 but Excel
    doesn't recognize the formula until I select the cell, hit F2 to edit,
    and press Enter. Until I do that it just displays the formula itself
    and not the result. I'd rather not do F2, Enter, several thousand
    times to get it to recognize all my formulas. Is there another way to
    get it to recognize the formulas?

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Is your macro populating the cell with
    cell.formula as opposed to cell.value
    .value is the default.

    Select an empty cell (no content, no spaces, no formulas
    to use cell M1 it must test True for =ISBLANK(M1)
    Copy that cell, then
    Select the range you want to fix, can be the entire column(s)
    Edit, Paste Special, Add

    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    I think I'm working more simply than what you may think. I'm not using
    macros and wouldn't know where to begin doing it that way.

    What I have is a range of numbers in column A (say, 1 through 1000).
    Cell B1, I have =CONCATENATE("='c:\[",A1,".xls]sheet1'!$l$4"), B2
    reference A2 and so on... So, I have that formula in column B, 1
    through 1000. I then copy B1:B1000 and Paste, Special, Values in
    column C, which gets me to where Excel just displays the formula in
    column C until I select each cell and do the F2, Enter.

    I tried pasting from column B into a blank cell (tested with ISBLANK)
    using the Paste Special, Add and ended up with a #VALUE! error and cell
    contents of =0+(CONCATENATE("='c:\[",H18,".xls]sheet1'!$l$4")

  10. #10
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    I hope you got rid of the =0+ bit.

    If you still have the formulas visible rather than the result,
    highlight column C, go to Data | Text-toColumns then click Finish.
    This should give you the results you are looking for, rather than
    having to edit 1000 cells.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  11. #11

    Re: Adding Contents of a cell to a formula

    Thanks, Pete! That did it.