Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Excel Split into new sheet by change in column (subtotal)

  1. #1
    WSI
    Guest

    Excel Split into new sheet by change in column (subtotal)

    I have a sheet exported from ACT that we need to get information from into
    another Agency management system.
    The sheet has columns that include customer name, contact info, and notes.
    The number of notes (rows) is different with each customer. What I would
    like to do is extract notes for a specific customer, and create a new
    workbook with it.
    I believe there might be a way if I subtotal on each change in company, but
    I can't find it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    See example below -
    Before -
    Date |Company |Notes
    01/01/2004| #1 |Steve is a great guy
    01/10/2005| #1 |He Really is
    01/25/2006| #2 |Any help or advice
    01/30/2006| #2 |would be great
    02/25/2006| #2 |Thanks!

    So from that I would like to be able to automatically create 2 seperate
    workbooks, one named #1 with the first 2 rows (Not including header), and one
    named #2 with the last 3.
    Thanks in advance -
    -Shane

  2. #2

    Re: Excel Split into new sheet by change in column (subtotal)

    Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin have samples that you may like. Ron's addin
    may be sufficient right out of the box.

    Debra's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    or

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

    And Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    You may be able to modify them to use separate workbooks--I think as they're
    written, they create separate sheets in the same workbook.

  3. #3
    WSI
    Guest

    Re: Excel Split into new sheet by change in column (subtotal)

    Thanks Dave - I will try them and post back how they work.
    Shane

    "Dave Peterson" wrote:

    > Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin have samples that you may like. Ron's addin
    > may be sufficient right out of the box.
    >
    > Debra's site:
    > http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html
    >
    > Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    > separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    > automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb
    >
    > or
    >
    > Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    > Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    > AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb
    >
    > And Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
    > http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm
    >

    > You may be able to modify them to use separate workbooks--I think as they're
    > written, they create separate sheets in the same workbook.
    >
    > WSI wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a sheet exported from ACT that we need to get information from into
    > > another Agency management system.
    > > The sheet has columns that include customer name, contact info, and notes.
    > > The number of notes (rows) is different with each customer. What I would
    > > like to do is extract notes for a specific customer, and create a new
    > > workbook with it.
    > > I believe there might be a way if I subtotal on each change in company, but
    > > I can't find it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    > > See example below -
    > > Before -
    > > Date |Company |Notes
    > > 01/01/2004| #1 |Steve is a great guy
    > > 01/10/2005| #1 |He Really is
    > > 01/25/2006| #2 |Any help or advice
    > > 01/30/2006| #2 |would be great
    > > 02/25/2006| #2 |Thanks!
    > >
    > > So from that I would like to be able to automatically create 2 seperate
    > > workbooks, one named #1 with the first 2 rows (Not including header), and one
    > > named #2 with the last 3.
    > > Thanks in advance -
    > > -Shane

    > --